Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887262738

From: <>
Subject: Re: You Know Who I Mean (Ah c'MONNNN!)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:52:18 EST

In a message dated 98-02-11 23:47:39 EST, Lucy writes:

<< > Why is it that the posters with the poorest command of the "King's
> English", the most horrendous spelling mistakes and the just plain "too
> hard to follow" writing style always have the most naive and outrageous
> opinions?

1) According to long standing "Netiquette" it is rude to even point out that
others' grammar and spelling usage is horrendous. Deal with it.

2) Not everyone has a natural aptitude for it. It can even be quite difficult
for some to understand the "inner workings" of the English language. I myself
stink at Math.

3) It is incorrect to assume that everyone that is on this listgroup uses
English as their primary language. Cut'em some slack.

4) If, like all voracious genealogists, you want the information provided in
any particular query bad enough I'm sure you can figure out what is trying to
be said.

5) The comment about an "Entrance exam" is itself horrendous. Through the
kindness and hard work of the Listmembers, Listowners and the Rootsweb
"staff?" we are lucky enough to be able to access and share valuable
information daily and I'm sure many of us, myself included, keep meaning to
send in donations to keep this valuable resource going, but never do. This
isn't a private club, it's the Internet.

Regards,
Catherine Harper

This thread: