Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887263676

From: <>
Subject: Re: Ulster- 1820 era-Unwed Couple
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:07:56 EST

I have seen several sources of reference that might apply here and might help
you. In some church records for baptisms in the Catholic church they refer to
the child of an unwed mother as the "bastard" child of or "illegitimate" child
of and would then list the fathers name. Or it could say the child of ..with
the mother's name... and then "unknown" father.

I have also seen reference in the Irish birth records, especially in the lying
in hospital in Dublin, where the child's parents may both be shown with
unmarried listed by it or may say the same as the baptism record listed above.
I am not sure of the other churches and their associated records.

Phyllis

This thread: