Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887292072

From: Derek< >
Subject: Re: You Know Who I Mean
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:01:12 -0400

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 07:39:47 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> Hi Lucy,
>>
>> > Why is it that the posters with the poorest command of the "King's
>> > English", the most horrendous spelling mistakes and the just plain "too
>> > hard to follow" writing style always have the most naive and outrageous
>> > opinions?

>(roaring!) I know what you MEAN! 12 years ago - the "Internet"
>only allowed EGGHEADS. (What a lovely time) - OK, so they let me
>in for comedy relief.
>
>Point IS - to read THEIR messages - it was like a primer for
>FUN-ETIC spelling. Sheesh. And these guys had IQs of like 180 !
>Spelling doesn't say much, in my opinion. It's the grammar!

I remember some writer or statesman in ENgland, who said word to the effect
that-----

" an educated man can be recognized the world over by the
simple expedient of opening his mouth and uttering a few words......"

I forget who said it, but it strikes me it is as true today as it's ever been.

Derek

This thread: