Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887297874

From: Gail Brown <>
Subject: Re: You Know Who I Mean/Entrance Exams
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:37:54 -0600

Good morning!

While this message is not intended to be disrespectful to anyone, if
you're not interested in the maintaining of the English language, please
stop reading and delete now.

Aren't some of you being a little tough on the teachers out here?! Here
they are trying their best to educate kids so that they can better
communicate and be understood in this wide world of ours; and when
someone speaks up for clarity of speech, the flames are thrown. I
understand that English may not be someone's first language, but it
really doesn't take much time to look up a word in the dictionary.
Besides, there's a big difference between misuse of the language because
of ignorance and misuse because of orneriness!

Last night I wrote Lucy a private note of support - just as I had
received a few notes of support for my last week's correction of the
spelling of "asceticism". I thought it was time to offer public support
for the concept of clarity of speech. It just makes communication a
little easier! When we have a common language, we better understand
each other, and that's certainly a help when we have listmembers from
all over the world. (No special reason it has to be English, but it
just seems to work out that way.)

Most of the time I feel like an outsider on this list because my SIs
were part of that small minority who went to New England. I'm sure they
share the same heritage with those who went to PA, VA, and the south,
but my memories are far removed from most that have been shared here.
(No tomato sandwiches, no kilts, no Guinness, no haggis, etc.) When My
SI Robert CLARK came to Londonderry, NH in 1725, he could sign his
name. His wife Letitia COCHRAN could not. By the mid to late 1800s,
some of his gggrandchildren were in MI , and they were all (girls
included) going to college, and most of this NH to MI line were - and
are - educators. What I remember most about childhood, besides the
tales of my Norwegian grandfather, was the emphasis on correct
pronunciation, spelling, and reading good books. And this from a mostly
SI and Scot grandmother who could best be described (in polite company)
as stubborn!
I think she started Tough Love!

E-mail writing is certainly a lot more casual than the formal business
style required in the work place, and a lot of leeway is expected and
encouraged. However, it's far more rude to flame someone for commenting
on the misuse of the English language, than it is for the comment to
have been made in the first place.

Even so, I do enjoy most of the posts and delete the others (just as you
are free to do with this one!) And do you really think a member of this
list would seriously suggest an "Entrance Exam"? We'd all flunk! I'll
stay on the list for good or ill, at least until the cows come home. (I
was raised on a dairy.)

It's still a great day in Texas, and I hope it is where you are, too.

Grace and Peace,

Gail

This thread: