Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887336447

From: Mike Carroll <>
Subject: Francis Edwin Carroll
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:20:47 -0800

This is a long shot, but worth a try. I am seeking possible connections
of my Great Grandfather, Francis "Frank" Edwin Carroll, to relations
from Liverpool, England or Ireland. He might have been born in Ireland,
but lived in Liverpool in his youth. We have estimated from census
records that he was born in 1852. His parents (unknown) died, Frank
orphaned was given to his Aunt (unknown) in Liverpool. It is unknown if
he had other siblings, but he might had. At age 7 he was put on a
seafaring ship as a cabin boy and sailed between Liverpool and Dublin,
Boston, & New York. Later he married Mary Kieley, from Lowell MA, and
settled in Gloucester MA. He was a master fisherman and captained his
own schooner, the 'MFC.' In his twilight years, Frank captained the
ferry boats in the Boston harbour. Does anyone have any ideas how to
search for a birth certificate in Liverpool and/or search for a record
of legal guardianship of an orphan in Liverpool for the mid-1800's
period. Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael "Mike" Henry Carroll
Santa Monica, CA

This thread: