Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887405580

From: "Robert T. Hilliard" <>
Subject: Movies
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:33:00 -0500

OK Smart Guys,
For those of us who don't feel like chasing every last ancestor, every
single minute, I have another screwball thread for you, with a little bit of a
St. Valentine's Day twist (no, no massacres involved). I've been
thinking about my favorite Scottish/Irish movies lately and thought I
would throw it out to the list for consideration. I'm probably going to
rent one or more this weekend.
In no special order:
The Quiet Man - Hard to tell if it's authentic or not in its depiction of the
people and the era (I've heard yea and nae), but it never fails to make
me grin. The fight seen in which everyone purports to go by Marquis of
Queensbury Rules only to see the Duke get kicked in the face, cracks me up. And the ministers housemaid apologizing to him for betting only to see
his bishop(?) hand him a check paying off their bet, is a hoot every one
of the hundred times I've seen it. Plus-even though I was born about
40 years too late- Maureen O'Hara is never hard to look at.
The Commitments - Excellent slice of current life in Ireland (was it
set in Belfast? I can't remember). A great blend of drama and comedy,
and some jammin' music. The scene where prospective band members
are greeted at the door with the question, "Who was your influence?" was
a thin slice of genius. Good, realistic (for a change) ending, too.
The Secret of Roan Inish - A good movie for my kids that I always
insist they watch so that I can peek over their shoulders. It seems like
a pretty good snapshot of Irish coastal life from the early part of this century,
but when people live as simply as those folk did then, it could be almost
any century. Just a sweet story, gorgeously shot.
Widow's Peak - A flat out good movie that happens to be set in
Ireland. Can't say too much without giving away the plot, but it gives
a look at a different class of people also living in the early part of this
century. Less gritty than the others, but a good tale nonetheless. Natasha
Richardson - also not too hard on the eyes.
Braveheart - We've been down this road before on the list, but between
the footage of the countryside (actually filmed in Ireland, I believe) and the
music, I'm ready to take my mace and broadsword in hand about halfway
through. Best character - Stephen, the crazy Irishman.
Far and Away - Probably a step or so below the others in my book,
but it tells a story that everyone on this list is familiar with, or else we
wouldn't be searching the past. The reasons varied, as did the results,
but the push from Ireland to America is something that changed both
nations forever and this movie strives to show that. BTW, is there some
law that Colm Meaney has to appear in every movie about Ireland?

So there you have it, the Rob Hilliard Scottish/Irish Movie Top 6.
IMHO, of course.
I should note that I have the broadest definition possible of Scottish/
Irish movie, basically covering anything made in or about either place.
Enjoy your loved one(s) this weekend. If any flames are forthcoming
for sallying astray of the intent of the list, bring them on. I'll use them
to pop popcorn.
Regards,
Rob

This thread: