Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887433187

From: William Lipham <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V98 #121
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:13:07 -0600

> Subject: Currency Value
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:10:22 -0500
> From: tomhewitt <>
> To: Scotch Irish Roots <>
>
> Does anyone know of a web site that I can find out how much 47 pounds in
> was worth in US dollars in 1951. I need this information to include in
> my family history.
> Thanks for your help.
> Hi:
Don't know any site however, I was stationed in England in 1951 and as
far as I can recall, the Pound was worth $2.80 cents at that particular.
That was a long, long time ago, so please do not quote me for "gospel".
My memory is not as good as it used to be especially being so long
ago.
Bill Lipham

> [...]
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:01:46 -0500
> From: "Steven Oge" <>
> To: <>, "Kathy Bates" <>
> CC: <>
>
> Tom that site won't help you much as it is todays rates...
> for example in 1974 the pound was at $2.65, in 1976 it
> was around $1.85 and by 1979 the rate of exchange was
> $1.35 ,been up and down over the years.
> Really don't know where to advise you on getting '51 rates
> Good Luck!
>
> Steve
>
> ----------
> > From: Kathy Bates <>
> > Subject: Re: Currency Value
> > Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 3:36 PM
> >
> > Tom,
> > Try this. I use this alot and find it quite helpful.
> > http://www.dna.lth.se/cgi-bin/kurt/rates
> > Cheers,
> > *kathy
> > >Does anyone know of a web site that I can find out how much 47 pounds in
> > >was worth in US dollars in 1951. I need this information to include in
> > >my family history.
> > >Thanks for your help.
> >

> ______________________________

> Subject: RE: Savage - Fermanagh
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 22:20:38 UT
> From: "Robert DAVISON" <>
>
> We have a New Zealand member by the name of SAVAGE researching SAVAGE in Co.
> Down pre. 1900. Visit our Web site at <http://www.mni.co.uk/nifhs>; and you
> will see it on MEMBER's INTERESTS.
>
> You'll have to join to get the contact details though.
>
> Yours aye
>
> Rob C Davison
> Gen. Secretary
> North of Ireland Family History Society
>
> ______________________________

> Subject: Wemyss in Fife (and some UK map sites)
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:11:13 GMT
> From: (Iain Sommerville)
> CC:
>
> Hello, Ernie
>
> >My map of the UK A-Z doesn't show Wemyss, Fife. I'd like to know how far
> >it is from Leslie, Fife. Thanks to anyone with a good map.
>
> There are three Wemyss villages - West Wemyss, Coaltown of Wemyss and
> East Wemyss (all in the old Parish of Wemyss). They are close
> together, about midway between Kirkcaldy and Leven (and about 6 miles
> from Leslie). If your map doesn't show Kirkcaldy and Leven, can I
> respectfully suggest that you get a new one!
>
> There are reasonable online maps of Scotland, England and Wales at
> these 2 sites:
>
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
>
> http://www.multimap.com/uk/
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Iain
>
> -----
> Iain Sommerville
> Burntisland, Fife, Scotland

> Subject: Estate Records of Northern Ireland
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:11:35 -0800
> From: "Lew Gregory Jr." <>
> To: Scotch-Irish Roots <>
>
> There has been many e-mails to me requesting the location of the site of

This thread: