Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887437988

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Scottish Drift
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 01:33:08 -0500

Two rather remarkable finds for me:

Wigtown Cowan

I've been searching for years maybe in all the wrong places for my earliest
Ulster ancestor John Cowan, born County Down, Ireland 1723 [or so I
thought] and died 1811 in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.

Quite by accident I was checking Scottish Cowans in the IGI. Had already
checked all the Irish Johns.

Found John Cowan, birth, abt. 1723. Of Penningham, Wigtown, Scotland,
spouse Jane McCulloch.

Chances of finding the LDS submitter seem slim, ordinances done in 1970.

Really got to call this a maybe since County Down and Wigtown are natural
fits.

Renfrew McLays

Another maybe.

Ancestor William McClay b. 1800 County Tyrone married Sarah Crawford, b.
1810. Eldest son James b. 1833 in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.

Found IGI record for marriage of Sarah Crawford. Marriage 14 December
1832, Abbey, Renfrew, Scotland to John Mc Lay [not William McClay].

Male children of William and Sarah were James, William and John. I'd bet
heavily for this one!

Not unusual at all for Ulster-Scots to hit the banks of the Clyde for
nuptuals sake.

John Giacoletti

This thread: