Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887464845

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Old Time Clothes
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:00:45 -0500

For those of you who don't like Highland attire and for some like myself
who do, you might find the following "catalog" of Amish and Plain Clothing
interesting.

It's put out by Gohn Bros. "Our 94th Year" 105 South Main Box 111
Middlebury, Indiana 46540-0111. Phone (219) 825-2400.

The "catalog" is a 12 page list of two columns each page. The company
doesn't take credit cards Each catalog issue has 1 illustration. About a
year ago the illustration was of "Old Fashioned High Top Shoe for ladies.
12 eyelets, leather upper, leather sole, all black.. Med. width. Sizes
5-10. Note: Order one size smaller than normal." $109.98 pr.

The current catalog has a picture of two folded blankets like in a
newspaper ad. "Hudson Bay 'Point" Blanket. Made since 1779. Woven in
England of pure wool. Color: Multi stripe. 4 point (double) 72 x 90'
$164.98. 6 point, 100 x 90" $205.98.

Looks like they put a lot of value in keeping warm! and having dry feet!

With a little imagination this catalog is really wild and a lot of fun.
You could end up dressing up like your Presbyterian ancestors of the early
1800's. Ladies can get a Black, all hand made BONNET for $22.98 Men coul
get OLD FASHIONED NIGHT SHIRT, below knee length. $27.98. 100% cotton.
Natural color.

In the Hard-To-Find-Corner, there's a listing for "Large Black Buggy
Umbrellas." No. 16. 16 single braces. 50' diameter, wood shaft. $15.98.
Might be just the umbrella for football games or such.

There's columns of sewing materials, quilting supplies, all kinds of
linens.

Women's underwear - Ladies' Bloomers, 100% cotton. $5.29. Ladie's
sleeveless vests. 100% cotton. Round neck. Pullover. No buttons. $5.69.

Wow! This stuff could really spark the amorous life - imagine going to bed
just like ggg grandpa and grandma. For off-nights there's all sorts of cozy
flannel stuff and slippers.

They got 11 kinds of scissors.. For the gents there's MEN'S BLACK TINGLEY
RUBBERS, which turn out to be overshoes.

Books include "God Given Herbs for the Healing of Mankind, 97 pages @
$5.98. And Lancaster Amish Cookbook. 1,000 recipies, 355 pages. $13.95

They even got a "Red Tomato Pin Cushion" for 89 cents. My mother and
grandma had one of those.

Much of the material is very practical work clothes, gloves, suspender
supplies. There's a Thermo Mask. "Can be worn open face or just eyes
exposed" @$ 4.98 for your terrorist activities [see going to bed stuff
above.] Horse blankets. Men's Broadfall Drop Front Work Pants, all sizes
and weights of cloth, including "Heavy wt. wool, black or Confederate gray.
$49.98. The south will rise again.

I buy "Ropp Old Fashioned (Colonial) Shirt" to go with my kilt for daywear.
Two button closure, long sleeve, regular collar, button cuff, wooden
buttons,. 6 oz. shirting, oxford muslin. 100% cotton. Natural color.
$23.98. You gotta pay $45.00 for these from the Scottish vendors!

AND IF YOU THINK THIS IS AN AD IT'S TIME FOR YOUR HUMOR INJECTION.

John Giacoletti

This thread: