Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887472486

From: <>
Subject: Re: Does Scotch-Irish include English?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:08:06 EST

<< If a family of immigrants to the United States call
themselves (or are called) Scotch-Irish, but their roots are in
England, that could well set a researcher off on the wrong trail.) >>

Iain, so far as I can determine, you probably are right. Which may be why we
cannot always trace these folks.
I know some of my ancestors came from Northern Ireland, and we always assumed
they were true Scotch-Irish, but from their names it is difficult to tell.
They may be English.
so without a pedigree chart, if they came to the States (or trhe colonies if
it was a long time ago) from that part of Ireland which is not Gaelic
Catholic, we lump them as Scoth-Irish. If later it can be proved they wer e
not, that is one thing. Proving it is something else.
labels may be a catch-all, but it does help sort temporarily.
Just where would you categorize names like Henderson, Wilkinson, Anderson,
Foster, (some of mine) if you know they came here from Ireland?
love
joanrose

This thread: