Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887492278

From: Randell Summerville <>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Book on Ulster History
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 08:37:58 +1100

>By the way, can anyone tell me anything about Loughbrickland? I have
>never been there, but it shows up on the map of the Battle of the Boyne.
>(Thanks, whoever suggested that map site.)

>Ernie in California

Hello Ernie,
I found this in the 1844 Parliamentary Gazeeter of Ireland.

LOUGHBRICKLAND, a post-town in the parish of Aghaderg, barony of Upper
Iveagh,co. Down, Ulster. It stands on the mail-road from Down to
Belfast, 2 miles south-south-west of Banbridge, 8.5 north of Newry, 21.5
south-south-west of Belfast, and 58.5 north of Dublin.It consists
principally of stone houses, neatly dashed and slated, and has a
cheerful and prosperous appearance. The glebe of Aghaderg,
Loughbrickland-lake, Loughbrickland-house, and two or three
bleaching-greens, from a cordon of interesting objects round the town,
and render the close views of it agreeable. Loughbrickland-lake lies on
the south, and has an area of about 119 acres; and Loughbrickland-house
is situated on the north, and is the seat on N.C. Whyte, Esq. The public
buildings either in the town or in its immmediate vicinity, are the
parish-church of Aghaderg, a Presbyterian meeting-house, two
school-houses, a Roman Catholic chapel, and the ruins of a monastery.
Some associations conected with the town are noticed in the article
AGHADERG: which see. Fairs are held on Nov 12, and the third Tuesday of
every other month. Area of the town 42 acres. Pop., in 1831, 618; in
1841, 647. Houses 122. Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 36; in
manufactures and trade, 69; in other pursuits, 27. Families dependant
chiefly on property and professions, 9; on the directing of labour, 58;
on their own manual labour, 61, on means not specified, 4.

If you would like the article on Aghaderg, let me know.
Randell
--
email :-
location:- Mermaid Beach, Queensland, Australia

This thread: