Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887496365

From: Valorie Zimmerman <>
Subject: Re: Movies
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:46:05 -0800

Robert T. Hilliard wrote:

> OK Smart Guys,
> For those of us who don't feel like chasing every last ancestor, every
> single minute, I have another screwball thread for you, with a little bit of a
> St. Valentine's Day twist (no, no massacres involved). I've been
> thinking about my favorite Scottish/Irish movies lately
snip

You forgot "Rob Roy", "Circle of Friends" and one I can't remember the
name of. Set in Ireland during the "Troubles", from the point of view of
a child of a formerly wealthy Prot. family, who sympathizes with the
native Irish. There's the lusty maiden aunt(s?) with her 10 or so dogs,
the gardener, a doomed love affair, a hanging, the Black and Tans
roughing up folks in the town...and it was wonderfully adapted from a
great novel, which I also read. But the title is a blank. 5 years ago or
so for the film...at least that's when I saw it on TV.
And how about "Trainspotting"?

Valorie Cowan McBee Zimmerman

This thread: