Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887500878

From: <>
Subject: Old Time Clothes
Date: 14 Feb 1998 20:01:18 EDT

John,
Thanks for the posting. I live in an area of Old Order Amish...many are
my husband's relatives. It's not uncommon to travel down Rt. 669
through Somerset Co. Pa into Garrett Co. Md. behind a horse and buggy
with 3 little boys peeking out the little back window, going about 5
MPH. I always enjoy the delay and the relationship we have with this
community. And I love the clothing for sale in the little Amish Stores
around here. All of these stores are in someone's home. Best bargains
around for material..especially flannel and black cotton.

Connie

GI>For those of you who don't like Highland attire and for some like myself
GI>who do, you might find the following "catalog" of Amish and Plain Clothing
GI>interesting.

GI>It's put out by Gohn Bros. "Our 94th Year" 105 South Main Box 111
GI>Middlebury, Indiana 46540-0111. Phone (219) 825-2400.

GI>The "catalog" is a 12 page list of two columns each page. The company
GI>doesn't take credit cards Each catalog issue has 1 illustration. About a
GI>year ago the illustration was of "Old Fashioned High Top Shoe for ladies.
GI>12 eyelets, leather upper, leather sole, all black.. Med. width. Sizes
GI>5-10. Note: Order one size smaller than normal." $109.98 pr.

GI>The current catalog has a picture of two folded blankets like in a
GI>newspaper ad. "Hudson Bay 'Point" Blanket. Made since 1779. Woven in
GI>England of pure wool. Color: Multi stripe. 4 point (double) 72 x 90'
GI>$164.98. 6 point, 100 x 90" $205.98.

GI>Looks like they put a lot of value in keeping warm! and having dry feet!

GI>With a little imagination this catalog is really wild and a lot of fun.
GI>You could end up dressing up like your Presbyterian ancestors of the early
GI>1800's. Ladies can get a Black, all hand made BONNET for $22.98 Men coul
GI>get OLD FASHIONED NIGHT SHIRT, below knee length. $27.98. 100% cotton.
GI>Natural color.

GI>In the Hard-To-Find-Corner, there's a listing for "Large Black Buggy
GI>Umbrellas." No. 16. 16 single braces. 50' diameter, wood shaft. $15.98.
GI>Might be just the umbrella for football games or such.

GI>There's columns of sewing materials, quilting supplies, all kinds of
GI>linens.

GI>Women's underwear - Ladies' Bloomers, 100% cotton. $5.29. Ladie's
GI>sleeveless vests. 100% cotton. Round neck. Pullover. No buttons. $5.69.

GI>Wow! This stuff could really spark the amorous life - imagine going to bed
GI>just like ggg grandpa and grandma. For off-nights there's all sorts of cozy
GI>flannel stuff and slippers.

GI>They got 11 kinds of scissors.. For the gents there's MEN'S BLACK TINGLEY
GI>RUBBERS, which turn out to be overshoes.

This thread: