Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0887604325

From: <>
Subject: Re: Baptist and Irish
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:45:25 EST

To add to those living on the west coast of America, in the late 1830's both
the Catholics and Baptist were being asked to help the religious development
out here. However, locals such as Dr. McLoughlin and some of his followers
sought religious from the Baptist church due to the fact they "had more family
backround" in their beliefs. They believed that since the Baptist ministers
could marry and have families they could not only add more to our population
but could more readily relate to the needs of the families out here than their
Catholic counterparts who were not allowed to marry and have children. So
initially the habitants requested that the Baptist come out here.

Some of my Catholic pioneers practised the Baptist religion until there were
more Catholic Priests to meet their needs.

This thread: