Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-11 > 0910806208

From: <>
Subject: Remembrance
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 12:43:28 EST

I have just recently joined the list so may have missed some of the postings
on this subject, but to Aaron R. Orr and all the others who have written so
eloquently, thank you for reminding all of us what this day is all about.

Speaking as an American who has just come home after 2 1/2 years in England to
the other Americans on this list. We have no idea what the people of Great
Britain have been through in the 2 World Wars of this century.

Just walk into any graveyard in England and see the War Memorials with the
unbelievable numbers of honoured dead from the Great War followed by
significant, though much smaller numbers for WWII. WWI wiped out entire
villages.

Across England today, the church bells will toll at 11:00 - the 11th hour of
the 11th day of the 11th month.

We look on this day, Veterans Day, as a holiday, perhaps a day when we can
sleep late. Sure we have our ceremonies, but nothing like in the British
Isles. The remembrance of this day permeates daily life on the other side of
the pond.

We must not ever forget the horrors of war and must do everything in our power
to make sure that such slaughter of the flower of the youth of the world never
happens again.

Glenda Mattes

This thread: