Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-12 > 0976237958

From: "Elizabeth" <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] SPIERS & DUNSEITH in Moneymore and Ballymoney
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:12:38 -0500

My great-great-grandmother was Ann or Nancy Ann SPIERS, born 28 December
1828 in Moneymore, Co. Derry (?). She left Ireland, probably in 1851,
apparently enroute to join a brother near Philadelphia. Somewhere along the
way she met my gr-gr-grandfather, Esrom BOUTILIER of Nova Scotia. They
married in New York City 2 September 1851 and returned to Nova Scotia to
settle. Ann died in in Halifax, NS in 1908 but returned to Ireland with one
of her daughters in 1904 to visit some of her family in Moneycannon and
Moneymore.

Until recently I knew nothing of Ann's family in Ireland. While visiting a
cousin recently I discovered a treasure trove of letters from Ireland dated
1852-1918. After poring over the letters I have put together a family
grouping (see below). I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can
take this research further. (A connection would be too much to ask for!)

Here is what I have found out so far:

Margaret DUNSEITH married ?? SPIERS sometime before 1828. Mr. Spiers appears
to have died before 1852. Margaret died 5 May 1854. In addition to Ann/Nancy
Ann they had up to 7 children (birth dates unknown with the exception of Ann
mentioned above):
* Eliza SPIERS married Samuel HARKLEY. They had at least 3 children -
Annie Harkley MURPHY; Samuel George HARKLEY (born about 2 Feb. 1854); and
Isabella HARKELY. Eliza Spiers Harkley died before August 1905.
* George SPIERS married Elisa ??. He apparently settled first in Canada
but in 1855 he was in Kittanning, Armstrong Co., Pennsylvania. He may have
had a daughter Maggie.
* Joseph James SPIERS (died before December 1907) (unconfirmed whether he
married or not)
* Margaret SPIERS married Joseph SIMPSON. They had at least 4 children -
a son born 18 December 1851; Maggie SIMPSON born about April 1862; Arthur
SIMPSON; and James SIMPSON
* Matilda SPIERS who married David MARTIN before 28 August 1854. Matilda
died 9 August 1905 in Moneycannon, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim and was buried 11
August 1905 in the "Ballymoney Old Burying Ground". (Her husband had died
before her.) They had at least 5 children - David Cochrane MARTIN (born
after August 1854); William James MARTIN (born after August 1854); Matilda
("Tilly") MARTIN (born before 4 December 1863); Samuel G. MARTIN (who
apparently came to Winnipeg, Canada); and Alexander MARTIN (who may have
also come to
Canada).
* Sarah SPIERS married a Mr. MAERS (?) and appears to have had a daughter
Maggie who married a FORSYTHE.
* ?? (male) SPIERS who died 27 November 1907, apparently in Low Cross,
Tullyhogus, Co. Tyrone. He had 9 children, 5 boys & 4 girls. One of his
sons, John SPIERS, was living in St. Luke's, Cork between 1908 and 1918. Two
sons, Thomas James and Robert George, appear to have moved to the USA,
likely Pennsylvania.

I believe that Margaret Dunseith SPIERS had a brother Allan DUNSEITH who had
a daughter Mary A. who married Robert MORAN.

I know that the family was Protestant and they may have been Presbyterian.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Do you have any suggestions on
how I can further my research on this family in Ireland?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Elizabeth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(in Canada's National Capital Region)
Researching (primarily):
BOUTILIER/BOUTEILLIER/BOUTILLIER, CROW(E), DAUPHINEE/DAUPHINEY/DAUPHINE,
MOSER/MOSHER & MARRIETTE in Nova Scotia [GANS & SSGS member];
SPIERS, DUNSEITH, FORSYTHE, HARKLEY, MARTIN & SIMPSON in Ballymoney, Co.
Antrim, Ireland;
CARDOZA/CARDOZO, GANE, LEVY, HAYWOOD, NUNES-CARDOZA & PAYNE in London/MDX,
England [EoLFHS #8061]; and
GOVIER, CADLE, HIN(D)E(S), HOLLIMAN/HOLLYMAN, WARR, WEBB(E), WYATT,
LAWRENCE, COOK & MUNDAY in Bucks., England [BGS #T52]

This thread: