Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-04 > 1018705595

From: <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] DUNCAN: Queens Ferry, SCT > Donegal>Philadelphia, 1750
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:52:58 -0700

Hi folks, here is some info I found on the WEB (Bob'll be proud of me <grin>). Unchecked, but the sources are given. Not entirely consistent, either and not in total agreement with other stuff I have.

It's posted here:
http://www.dumar.com/dsa/past%20articles/94/Oct94.htm

But in case the author doesn't pay his bill, here's the text. It is from the Duncan Association Newsletter, now on the internet and
indexed. http://www.dumar.com/dsa/dsa.htm . I got the name of Seth and his wife from it. Yah HOO!

So we're looking now for a James DUNCAN, wife Christiana, somewhere
in Donegal, mid to late 1700's.

Linda Merle

General William Duncan, d. 1864 Philadelphia, PA, son of Adam Seth Enos Duncan

Philadelphia, PA, Will (FHC film 21,751; SLC 2/22/94)
Will Book 52, pg.238: #113, Will of William Duncan of Philadelphia Co., of sound mind & memory ...; just debts and funeral expenses be paid; concerning the real estate at the NW corner of Race or Sassafras Street and Front Street and the estate numbered 13 on Race or Sassafras Street in City of Philadelphia sold by order of the Orphans Court under proceedings in Partition on 26 Sept. 1848 and purchased by & conveyed by deed to me in fee by William D. Moulder admin. with testamento annexed, I give as follows: The said property having been figured and estimated by the jury at the Partition as about equivalent at that time to 2/3 of the then undivided real estate of the former owner, William Moulder Sr. deceased, was devised by his will on record to his children, the respective mothers of my children, namely Mary Duncan and Sarah Duncan by their father the said William Moulder Sr., and inherited by them from their brother Joseph Moulder who died in 1816 single without iss!
ue and intestate, refer to the records in the Orphans Court, Recorder of Deeds, and Register of Wills, and the heirs of Mary Duncan and Sarah Duncan will be entitled after my decease to the proceeds thereof, in their respective proportions according to the will of said William Moulder Sr., and in course of law, but having a life estate therein by the courtesy and the full amount of the consideration money for the property having been secured by me to the said administrator after the termination of my life estate, in lieu thereof and for the ... the administrator from liability, and for the relief of my estate for any charges therefor, I devise the said property at its present increased value, exclusive nevertheless of the sum of $2,096.26 expended by me which shall be deducted from the several bequests, ... $1,048.13 to the heirs of Mary Duncan and same to the heirs of Sarah Duncan; that is to say:
I give one undivided 1/6 part to my dau. Mary Ann D. Ford & her heirs & assigns in fee. I give one other undivided 1/6 part to Mary Buzby dau. of my son William M. Duncan decd, her heirs & assigns in fee. I give one other undivided 1/6 part to Joseph C. Duncan and William L. Duncan, heirs of my son Joseph M. Duncan decd, their heirs and assigns in fee as tenants in common and each of them share & share alike of the undivided 1/6 part. I give one other undivided 1/6 part to my son James J. Duncan his heirs & assigns in fee. I give one other undivided 1/6 part to my son George W. Duncan his heirs & assigns in fee. I give one other undivided 1/6 part to my daughter Sarah Lasell her heirs & assigns in fee.
And in accord with the will of William Moulder Sr. decd, in like manner I give the other undivided moiety or half part of the said estate subject to the heirs of my son Henry H. Duncan to 1/2 of the expenditures, to my grandson Henry H. Duncan his heirs & assigns in fee, subject to the life estate in the 1/3 thereof to the widow of my son Henry H. Duncan, provided that the said devisees accept the said devise in lieu and full satisfaction of all claims against my estate under the will of William Moulder Sr. or against me ... as surety for the said William D. Moulder or his heirs, etc.
It is my will that my wife Anna C. Duncan shall receive all the furniture, clothing, bedding, books and pictures which she brought into my family at the time of our marriage and also any shares of bank stock and her lot of lands in Chicago, IL, that may remain in her former name rightfully belonging to her at my decease. I further give my wife Anna C. Duncan any articles of furniture received from the estate of her uncle David C. Claypole decd and money ... The ... evaluation of all my other furniture, ... except such articles as I hereafter give to my children and others, I give to my wife Anna C. Duncan including my gold watch, for her life. Further to my wife Anna C. Duncan, 1/3 part of net rents, interest and income of all my estate, real and personal, ... for her life and that any future husband she may have shall not have any right or interest therein nor shall it be liable for his debts. To my wife Anna C. Duncan the house No. 94 Wood Street, SE corner of !
Seventh Street, together with the insurance policy thereon, for her life, she paying the taxes and ground rents ... and revert at her death to my executors for distribution according to this will, providing this and the foregoing shall be taken in lieu and in full satisfaction of her dower thirds ...
That my furniture, clothing, etc., be inventoried and bequeathed to my wife Anna C. Duncan for her life, and then equally divided by my executor to my seven children or their heirs first named in the 3rd, 7th and 8th pages of this will, or sold and the proceeds divided. I also give to all my children and grandchildren that may survive me each a Quarto Bible, regarding it as their richest legacy ...
The residue, subject to the deductions as stipulated on the 2nd page of this will and the payment of my debts and funeral expenses and bequests, as follows: Whereas my dear lamented son William M. Duncan decd often requested that I would not in my will bequeath a child's portion of my estate to him or his heirs as he and they were amply provided for without it, thus kindly and generously considering his affectionate sisters and brothers with their heirs who were differently circumstanced, and believing as I do that the heirs of my said son who are wealthy will nobley acquiesce in and actuated by like generous feelings will kindly carry out his benevolent and truly Christian views, under these impressions, and moved by considerations of the same varied? kindred affection for all my children and grandchildren. I do further give to the heirs of my much lamented and dear son William M. Duncan decd, one equal and undivided 1/7 part of the residue as tenants in common !
with the other devisees of the residue.
I give the heirs of my dear son Joseph M. Duncan decd, namely to Joseph C. Duncan and William L. Duncan, one other undivided 1/7 part of the residue as tenants in common.
I give my dear son James J. Duncan one other undivided 1/7 part of the residue.
I give my dear son George W. Duncan one other undivided 1/7 part of the residue.
I give my dear daughter Maryann D. Ford one other undivided 1/7 part.
I give my dear daughter Sarah Lasell one other undivided 1/7 part.
I do further give to the heirs of my son Henry H. Duncan one other undivided 1/7 part.
As I have assisted my dear children and grndchildren from time to time as occasion required it with several sums of money without being always particular in charging the same, I will that all such sums of money whether by bond, note or book account or otherwise remaining unsettled shall, as far as there is a balance due me, be cancelled at my decease and regarded as free will gifts from a tender father and grandfather to his affectionate children and grandchildren.
I appoint my wife Anna C. Duncan executrix and my dear sons James J. Duncan, George W. Duncan, my grandson John G. Ford, and nephew William D. Moulder executors; I hereby revoke all former wills; the 8 preceding pages, set my hand & seal, 1 Feb. 1856. /s/ Wm. Duncan; wit. Edwin Hall, Arthur Thacker.
Codicil; revoke the devise to my son James J. Duncan of 1/6 part of property and give the same to Anna C. Duncan his wife (sic); Revoke the devise in my will to my son James J. Duncan of 1/7 part, and give it to Anne C. Duncan his wife (sic); /s/ Wm. Duncan, Wit. Wm. D. Moulder, Arthur Thacker; Phila. on August 5, 1861. City & Co. of Philadelplhia, Register's Office Feb. 29, 1864; appeared Edwin Hale and Arthur Thacker, witnesses, who saw William Duncan sign the will. Appered Feb. 29, 1864, Arthur Thacker and William D. Moulder who saw William Duncan sign the Codicil. Affirmation by Anna C. Duncan, Jas. J. Duncan, Geo. W. Duncan, John G. Ford, Wm. D. Moulder they will administer the estate and comply with the provisions of the law relating to collateral inheritance; wit. John F. Belsterling, Dep. Register; Letters Testamentary granted to them. (21,751)

Descendants of General William Duncan, d. 1864 Philadelphia, PA (from Wayne R. Johnson, Sewell, NJ, 11/22/93)
WILLIAM DUNCAN (General); married (1) Mary Moulder 1792 in 1st Baptist Church, Phila.; married (2) Sarah Moulder; both daus. of William Moulder; married (3) Anna Claypoole Peale. Children:
1. James J. Duncan.
2. William M. Duncan, married Anna Louisa ----, d. 5/30/1842, bur. Christ Church Burial Grounds; had son George W. Duncan b. 1835, d. age 61 in 1896, who had son Frank Orville Duncan (grandfather of Wayne R. Johnson)
3. Joseph M. Duncan. Had son Joseph C. Duncan who had dau. Isadora Duncan of San Francisco, CA.
4. George W. Duncan.
5. Samuel Duncan died 1837.
6. Mary Ann Duncan married Mr. Ford
7. Sarah Duncan mar. ---- Lassell
8. Elizabeth Duncan d. age 15, 1832.

"Thomas Duncan and His Six Sons" by Kate D. Smith (copy of pages from Wayne R. Johnson 8/2/93)
Pg.97-99: ... Letter from John G. Ford. "713 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Feb. 15, 1896. My dear Madam: ...
In regard to the history of the Duncan family I am only familiar with the genealogy of the descendants of Seth Duncan who emigrated from the county of Donegal, Ireland, to Pennsylvania, about year 1750 and first settled in Octorara Township in Lancaster County. A few years later he moved to York, Penna, and from there to Abbotstown in York, now Adams County. Seth was the son of James Duncan whose father, Duncan (we have no record of his Christian name), came from Queen's Ferry, opposite Edinburgh, on the Firth of Forth, to Donegal County in Ireland.
James Duncan, the father, remained in Donegal with his daughter Martha, but Seth came to America with his two brothers. The latter went further into the interior, while Seth remained until his death, in the early part of the century, at Abbotstown. My grand-father, William Duncan, is the son of Adam Seth Enos Duncan who was the son of Seth by the second wife. My mother Mary Ann was the second child of William Duncan (the first having died in infancy). She married Athanasius Ford of Maryland, grandson of an Athanasius Ford who was for several sessions a member of the Annapolis-Maryland Convention, held before the Declaration of Independence. I was the second child of Athanasius and Mary Ann Ford and am now the surviving executor of my grandfather William Duncan's estate, and thus have been able to keep a record of the descendants of Seth Duncan. ....
When I was quite a youth, my uncles James and William Duncan were engaged in the wholesale importing hardware business on Market Street in Philadelphia. One of their customers was David Duncan, who kept a large store in either Penn's or Sugar valley in Centre Co., Penna. He had been married five times. One of his daughters married Gen. Potter of Potter's Bank, in Centre Co., Penna. Mr. John M. Hale, of Phillipsburg, in the same county, married a granddaughter of David. It may be that David was a son of your ancestor Thomas. Oliver Perry and William C. Duncan, sons of David, moved to the Western country forty years ago and have long since died. In boyhood I remember Captain Mathew Duncan of U.S.A., whose brother Joseph Duncan was Governor of Illinois, soon after its admission into the Union as a State. Captain Duncan's son Thomas was a Brigadier General in the U.S.A. and died a few years ago in Washington City. They were distant relations of ours. .... Very truly yours,!
John G. Ford."
(MAD: Moultrie Co. IL Deed S-267 in 1839 shows George W. Duncan, merchant of City of Philadelphia, PA, bought lots in East Nelson, Shelby Co. IL, and Deed S-373 in 1840 appointed his brother, Joseph M. Duncan his attorney in 1840 to sell the land. Moultrie Co. IL Deed S-275 in 1839 shows James J. Duncan of City of Philadelphia, PA, also bought lots in East Nelson, Shelby (later Moultrie) Co. IL, and in Deed S-372 in 1840 appointed his brother Joseph M. Duncan his attorney to sell the land. A later deed S-409 in 1841 for James J. Duncan by his attorney is indexed as James J. Duncan and Mary S. Duncan, apparently his wife. Joseph M. Duncan was of Coles Co. IL in 1840 and 1841 when he sold some of the parcels.; Deed S-354 was recorded in Coles Co. IL. FHC film 1,313,222, SLC 2/27/92)

This thread: