Scotch-Irish-L ArchivesArchiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-01 > 1043637706
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Chambersburg, Pa. and the BOOK
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:21:46 EST
Thanks to the people who wrote about the book on the early Irish and Scotch
settlers of Pa. There are some real scholars out there and its good to hear
from them. The following post from Gray Harding on the Wigton-Walker is a
good example of this.
The Chambers family were like the Rutherfords holders of Blunston Licenses
in the Cumberland Valley. The descendants of these two men were married into
the Cathey, Patton and Griffith Rutherford families in PA, VA,NC and TN. The
Chambers brothers are the name sakes for Chambersburg, PA. The brothers held
the farthest western land holdings issued by Samuel Blunston near
Shippensburg, PA. Judge George Chambers, author of "Tribute to the
Principles, Virtues, Habits and Public Usefulness of the Irish and Scotch
Early Settlers of Pennsylvania" was a descendant of Benjamin Chambers as
were the members of the Chambers family of Iredell County, N.C., included
Henry Chambers (1708-1782), who moved from Pennsylvania to Iredell (then
Rowan) County where he bought a large tract of land on Third Creek in 1754.
His son, Henry Chambers (1750- 1817), who farmed the land his father had
purchased, and was the father of Joseph Chambers (1791-1848).
til later ..... Gary
== == ==
HISTORY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA
CHICAGO: WARNER, BEERS & CO., 1887
Chicago: JOHN MORRIS COMPANY, PRINTERS
118 and 120 Monroe Street
The first settlement, in what is now Franklin County, PA, was made in 1730,
at Falling Spring, (now Chambersburg)-the confluence of the two streams,
Falling Spring and Conococheague-by Col. Benjamin Chambers and his older
brother, Joseph. Between 1726 and 1730, four brothers, James, Robert,
Joseph and Benjamin Chambers, emigrated from the country of Antrim, Ireland,
to the province of Pennsylvania. They settled and built a mill shortly
after their arrival, at the mouth of Fishing Creek, in what is now Dauphin
County, where they occupied a tract of fine land. These brothers were among
the first to explore and settle the valley. James made a settlement at the
head of Great Spring, near Newville; Robert, at the head of Middle Spring,
near Shippensburg, and Joseph and Benjamin at Falling Spring, where
Chambersburg now stands.
By an arrangement among the brothers, Joseph returned to supervise their
property at the mouth of Fishing Creek, and Benjamin remained to develop the
settlement at Falling Spring. He built a one-storied hewed-log house which
he covered with lapped cedar shingles secured by nails-an innovation upon
the prevailing style of architecture, which consisted of round log structure
covered with a roof of clapboards, held in position by beams and wooden
pins. Having completed this, the finest residence in the settlement, he
addressed himself to clearing land, erecting necessary buildings and
planning the future growth of the colony. Some time after this, Benjamin
had occasion to visit his former homestead at Fishing Creek. Returning, he
found his house had been burned by some avaricious person for the "sake of
the nails," which were a rarity in those days.
Subsequently Mr. Chambers received what was then the only authority for the
taking up and occupying of land. The following is a copy of the interesting
instrument, which was a narrow strip of common writing paper, the
chirography on which would not stand the crucial test of modern straight
lines, ovals and right and left curves.
By order of the Proprietary. These are to License and allow Benjamin
Chambers to take and settle and Improve of four hundred acres of Land at the
falling spring's mouth and on both sides of the Conegochege Creek for the
conveniency of a Grist Mill and plantation. To be hereafter surveyed to the
said Benjamin on the common terms other Lands in those parts are sold.
Given under my hand this thirtieth day of March 1734.
LANCASTER COUNTY SAMUEL BLUNSTON
A mill-wright by occupation, he at once erected a saw-mill and subsequently
a flouring-mill. These were both indispensable to the comfort and growth of
the settlement, and were evidently heralded as strong inducements for others
to cast in their lot with this growing colony. The saw-mill stood on what
is known as the "Island," a few rods northwest of where the woolen-mill now
stands; the flouring-mill, constructed mainly of logs, stood near the
residence of its owner. It was shortly destroyed by fire, but its place was
occupied by a new one, whose walls were made of stone.
BENJAMIN CHAMBERS was upward of twenty one years of age when he settled at
Falling Spring. His death occurring February 17, 1788, in his eightieth
year, he must have been born about 1708 or 1709. Shortly after (1741), he
married a Miss Patterson, residing near Lancaster, who was the mother of his
eldest son, James. She lived but a few years. In 1748, he married a second
time, his choice being a Miss Williams, the daughter of a Welsh clergyman
living in Virginia. She bore seven children, viz: RUHAMAH, married to DR.
CALHOUN; WILLIAM; BENJAMIN; JANE, married to ADAM ROSS; JOSEPH, GEORGE and
HETTY, married to WM. M. BROWN, ESQ.
He used his influence with his acquaintances to settle in his neighborhood,
directing their attention to desirable locations for farms. He was early
commissioned a justice of the peace, and later a colonel of the militia
organized. He served as a daysman to adjust many controversies between his
neighbors, and thus became a general counselor in the community. During the
controversy between LORD BALTIMORE and the PENNS, concerning the boundary
between Pennsylvania and Maryland, he went to England to assist, by his
evidence and advice, in the adjustment of the difficulties involved. From
England he went to Ireland, his native soil, where he induced many
acquaintances with their families to remove to his new settlement.
In 1764 COL. CHAMBERS laid out the town of Chambersburg, whose history is
sketched elsewhere in this volume. The history of this sturdy early settler
is the history of the country and of the commonwealth for more than half a
century. From the time he landed at the Falling Spring till his declining
health rendered further activity impossible, he was the acknowledged leader
of the people in all civil, military, and religious movements."