Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-11 > 1132703076

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: RE: [Sc-Ir] Scotch-Irish Christmas Traditions
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:44:36 -0000

Quite frankly, I've never experienced it.
What seems to be a Scandinavian model of Candles which may be connected with
St Lucia is now fairly popular, though I always have a sneaking suspicion
that with its five candle shape that it has a relationship with the Menorah
of Chanukah.
Remember that I can only write about the Lowlands. What they may do in
Barra or South Uist is a different thing. I certainly have never been given
a candle by a shop keeper and I've been around Christmas in Scotland since
1968 where it was still in some places a working day - it was just that the
family I was with, having English connections celebrated Christmas.
Most of these light festivals are much more ancient than Christianity. The
ritual which someone described of fire balls has an exact parallel with the
swinging of Fire Balls at Stonehaven.
The Calvie of Burghead is burnt on Old New Years Day.
These light festivals are links with a pre Christian past. In some
communities they have been tacked on to Christmas. In others they have been
retained in their original position.
Now if you first foot part of what you bring is a piece of coal, which is
the same line of thought as the Candle for light.
However this seems to have rather strayed from S-I Christmas traditions. I
think that we have established that there aren't really, however that there
are a lot of Scottish fire traditions which are celebrated in the darkness
of winter. Remember that the South of Scotland is 54 North and the early
dark in Fort William at about 57 N on a December or January afternoon at
about 15.00 especially if it is raining is awesome.
Ulster is slightly to the South and the winters are not a severe.
Hope that this helps
Edward Andrews