Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2007-08 > 1188343320

Subject: Re: [S-I] Chesney Records in Ireland/Scotland 1600-1775
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:22:00 EDT

A William McChesney was one of 44 passengers who signed a testimonial to
John Eccles, published in the Belfast News Letter, May 13, 1766. The text is as
follows:

"We whose Names are hereunto subscribed, being Passengers of Mr. John
Eccles's, Merchant in Newry, in the Snow Buchannon from said Town to New-York in
America, arrived safe and well at New-York in eight Weeks and six Days Time,
during which Voyage we must, in common Justice to Mr. Eccles, acknowledge that
he was very obliging and careful of every Passenger, and gave us Plenty of
good Provisions and Water, and did every other Thing in his Power to make our
Passage comfortable; We, therefore sincerely recommend it to our Friends who
may have an Inclination to come to this Country (where Freedom reigns) to come
with him should he set up for Passengers in that Way, not doubting, but they
will experience his Care and good Nature as much as we have done, and we
acknowledge that Captain Cochran behaved to us very kind. Given under our Hands,
at New-York, 24th of August, 1765.

Joseph Shekelton Neal McCanna James Anderson
John Lockhart Edward Keran William Armstrong

Neil Hardy Ben Days John Hanna
Sarah Lockhart Mick Carolan George McAdam
Hannah Stuart John Maginnis James Blackwood
John North James Osburn Nesbitt Deane
John Hall John Kearns John Williamson
Richard Barlow Elkanah Deane John Montgomery
William Field William Deane William Pearson
David Clark Thomas North Allen Willson
Thomas Clark Thomas Wier John Cochran
John Reynolds John McMachon Andrew Robinson
William Reynolds Thomas Blakeney Walter Crawford
Mark Brady William M'Chesney Robert Wiley
Patrick Mooney Adam McColloch

I believe the above to be true from what I have heard from many of the
Passengers.
ROBERT HARPER, A.M. and Professor in the King's
College in New-York."

Could this be your man?

Elkanah Deane in this list may have later migrated to Williamsburg VA,
witness an advertisement by coachmaker Elkanah Deane in the Virginia Gazette of
October 23, 1773: "I made, in the city of New York, for his Excellency the
Right Honorable the Earl of Dunmore, a coach, phaeton, and a chaise, which may
now be seen by any gentleman that has an inclination."

All the best,
Richard MacMaster