Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-12 > 1228599935

Subject: Re: [S-I] Samuel Hunter 1766 (?) -1840 (Knoxville, Jefferson Co, OH)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:45:35 +0000 (UTC)

Hi David, there were lots of Hunter-families in PA. You definitely need to focus on tracing him back from Steubenville. Now the white-folks in the area before the end of the Revolution were largely known by one name: barbaque!! So he wasn't there ... then. Many of the folks in that part of Ohio were from central PA. Check out the 1850 census for themselves and parents.

Despite these random rantings, do a very thorough study of the early history, esp. land allocation. Study the early records and trace the neighbors. You need to trace the neighbors because there were so many Hunters. Many wills back in old mother Cumberland are abstracted and on the internet at rootsweb. Check for wills of Hunters and the neighbors. Etc. The PA archives are free at footnote.com. Extract everything. the Revolutionary military records for PA are free at the PA Archive site. It is a virtual census of all men in PA but for the ones with Washington. Note all Hunters and the names of the neighbors. You'll start to see patterns. You should know the history of every Hunter family in PA during this time. You will soon see if yours is among them. Not? No problem -- you just proved yours wasn't there.

In addition find a living male descendent and talk him into a DNA test. Then you can look for matches with other Hunters.

Perhaps you think this is all a big waste of time. However this is what I did for a client (only there were 3 brothers in Virginia) and after deciding the father of the 3 lads was not in the American colonies, we pursued the DNA route and DID find the probable place of origin in Ireland through some Australian relatives. There never was a paper trail linking these men to any place in Ireland. So one will never be found. This is true for most colonial British immigrants. If you plan on solving your problem with paper -- you will most likely fail. So employ new technology -- DNA.

However ... we did first trace them from TN to VA! You gotta do the genealogy as well. So you much tackle the "PA Problem".

Another angle is to study the history of the Presbyterian church. Originally was it ARP or RP Or what? If you can determine he was associated with one of the smaller denominations, that'll help you find him 'back east'. There's a huge book that gives the history of the RP's, for example, now free on the Internet. It IDs every congregation. If he was with the RP church, he most likely is clustered around one of them. This strategy doesn't work well if the ancestor wasn't a religious fanatic (like most of mine). However if you study him enough something odd and helpful will catch your eye.

I got Hunters but they're in Western PA. Some folks here did have farms in Steubenville area. My ancestors, the Blacks, had such a farm. Oddly, they were not planted there like trees. They moved back and forth. They were buried back here in PA but died in Ohio. So sometimes you can find probates in different spots. One client of mine -- ancestor died in north west PA, BUT would you believe the will was recorded in Ohio, where his son lived? No trace of it in the PA county records. Really strange, but true. Only way my client found that probate was by tracing the descendents and checking records in the county they lived to see if there was anything interesting. So cast a wide net .

I also once found a memorial in the deedbook of a county in Virginia. It relinquished all rights to property in Pennsylvania of three generations of heirs living in PA, VA, and TN, giving the names of all the daughters and granddaughters who had married. You might find such a document in,....Indiana! Or anywhere that a descendent moved to.

My Hunters were Covenantors --
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~merle/andersons/index3.htm#Hunter

Linda Merle