Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-09 > 1315513616

From: Dave Hall <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Most Recent Trip to Northern Ireland (NOT my trip!!)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:26:56 +0100

Carolyn

I tried emailing but your mail server rejected my mail server!
Final-Recipient: rfc822; Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 (permanent failure) Remote-MTA: dns; [209.86.93.226] Diagnostic-Code:
smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'IP 213.233.128.45 is blocked by EarthLink.

Moses' tree comes down Richard's line.. too many errors on it.

"Cavan, Co Londonderry" is mentioned but there is no Cavan in Londonderry! So trying to follow it is impossible. Then too many of the trees have been taken word for word from the book or each other. I know they sailed from Derry but I often wonder about the mention of Cavan. There are Cavans in Monaghan/Tyrone/Antrim/Down/Donegal/Leitrim/Louth/Mayo...plus County Cavan. NONE in Derry! I've pulled this "tree" apart with other researchers and the conclusion is that whoever wrote the book was "geographically challenged", the trees on Ancestry have several "facts" which are proven incorrect and an example can be proven by the Census 1860 Newton Co Ga and 1860 Butts Co Ga.

The York Co South Carolina Swans are puzzling. There were two different lines there.
John Swan of York Co. South Carolina had a son Robert 1783 who moved circa 1804 to Franklin Co. Indiana. (John was the son of Robert Swann and Martha
Craig). Robert 1783 's wife was Nancy Craig. AND my "XXX" of 1761 who is closely related by YDNA to this Swann line (and his wife was also a Craig.)

Jane Swan b. 1 March 1767 (descends from Richard Swan of Ireland) marries Jacob Barrickman and they go to Franklin Co. Indiana.

Robert Swan who was born circa 1730 and died about 1773 left two sons, John and Samuel. They were each married and had children, But Samuel packed up
and left for Tennessee. John died in York in 1791, and left minor children in the guardianship of William Craig of Lauren's District. Those children
scattered- Robert to Indiana with Robert Hanna, some of the others to Kentucky.

In the meantime, John Swann, son of Moses Swann and Jean Barnett/Burnett (the Richard Swann line), up and moves to York circa 1788, where he buys
land smack in the midst of Robert Hanna and Charles Moore, so there are two different Swan lines there. Why do these "theoretically unrelated"
Swans move so near one another, to the point of being smack in the midst of people "XXX" Swan intermarried with?
James had a son Andrew who had a son James W born 1813 in SOUTH Carolina who lived in Georgia, then Alabama.
Living in the same county in Georgia is a James W who was born in 1808 in NORTH Carolina to Thomas Swan, one of the Virginia Swans.

Folks on Ancestry have them all confused with each other, but the PROOF is in the census:
1860 Newton Co Ga. J. W Swan, 52 born N.C., Julia F 46, Wm. M 25
1860 Butts Co Ga. James W. Swann 46 born S.C., Margaret 33, Nancy M 6.
In 1870 James W is also in Newton Co Ga.

I'm not naming my "XXX" Swan even though the YDNA has been proven, due to all the "copying"/"miscopying" on Ancestry.

Richard's ORIGINS need to be properly investigated! Just look at the "address" entries on Ancestry for him....

On 25/08/2011 08:00, wrote:
> From:"" <>
> > Subject: Re: [S-I] My Most Recent Trip to Northern Ireland ... again,
> > Date: Sat, 20 Ma...
> >
> > I have a Moses Swan who married a Jean Barnett b.1715 Ireland. She was a
> > sister to a John Barnett b. Ireland d.1785 Paxtang Township Dauphin County.
> > I remember 10 years or so ago corresponding with a Swan who worked at Ole
> > Miss or some school in the south
> > Where are you located? I am way out here in California
> > Carolyn Mills Hughes

This thread: