Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328224730

From: "Bob Lindsay" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Thoughts on replying to an American letter etc...
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:18:50 -0700

Dear List:

Perhaps I can provide some help with what I think know about this letter.

Elisha M. Fleming of Belvidere, originally in Pennsylvania; Sussex and now
Warren County, NJ found this letter (ca 1880's) in his barn in a box of old
papers preserved by his father. The Fleming cousins referred to were
citizens of now Warren, Sussex; and Hunterdon Counties, NJ. These cousins
(brothers all) followed their elder brother Samuel (founder Flemington, NJ)
and mother (now) Martha Biggers to the NJ area. It is believed that David
Lindsey's mother was the Fleming brother's aunt, she being a daughter of the
deceased Malcolm Fleming. It is understood that Malcolm resided in
Tullywiggin, Derryloran Parish, and County Tyrone. Malcolm Fleming's family
was from Largs, Scotland and settled in the Cookstown area ca 1643.

A David Lindsay is found in the Sussex County Court records, May Term, 1769
wherein he petitions the court to issue a "Licens to Keep a Public House
Where he now lives, it being a public House for many years, . . . ". Another
document of that time show petitioners David Lindsay and Andrew Fleming, et
al on the same document. We can postulate that David Lindsay/Lindsey did
indeed find his Fleming cousins.
Research suggests this David Lindsey/Lindsay migrated to present day Fayette
County, PA and later to present Harrison County, KY. Original family bible
records (in possession of David Lindsey Wilcox) indicate that David's wife
was named Rebekah and the mother of his offspring. No known source for the
much-publicized report that a Mary Fleming was his wife!

David Lindsay was a Westmoreland County, PA 1st Lt. during the Revolutionary
War. For evidence of his reputation, he retained several community/county
offices during his PA and Ky years. David Lindsey wrote the letter at age 18
having visions of coming to the USA for "the good bargains of lands". He was
a Scotch-Irishman who came, fought for his adopted country, and helped
settle the early frontiers of our lands. He died in 1814, age 74, presumably
on his farm north of Cynthiana, KY. He is buried there in the "Lindsey
Cemetery", a small-unkept plot of ground on his original property.

The source of this posting is partially taken from the publication:

Family Genealogy
Author: Publins Lawson
Call Number: CS71.L425
This book contains the history of the Fleming and Lawson families of New
Jersey.
Bibliographic Information: Lawson, Publins. Family Genealogy. Privately
Published. Menasha, Wis. 1903.

Other sources include Ted Lindsay; Susan Grabek; David Lindsey Wilcox; and
forgotten others, who are all to be thanked.

Email Checked by Norton