TAPSCOTT-L Archives

Archiver > TAPSCOTT > 2002-08 > 1029706959

From: "" <>
Subject: RE: [TAPSCOTT] Family of Henry Tapscott of Caswell
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:42:39 -0400

Original Message:
-----------------
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:47:46 EDT
Subject: [TAPSCOTT] Family of Henry Tapscott of Caswell

Hello Tapscott Trackers,

I am submitting an outline of my ancestor Henry Tapscott of Caswell County,
NC; his father Edney; and his grandfather, Henry Tapscott, in the hopes
that
some of you may see further additions (or deletions) which need to be made
make this a more legitimate lineage. I still have difficulty with the
identity of Henry of Caswell's mother, which accounts for the Unknown
UNKNOWN
designation for her.

1. Henry TAPSCOTT ****Born 27 August 1685 England---Died C Mar 1727

------------------------------------
Henry II
Birth Date: 1716 Corrected by Dan
Death Date: Circa April 1781
--------------------------------
Notes:
The imigrant boy Henry lived on a 266 acre spread touching on Mr Carters
Great Mill Pond. He died in April 1727 possessed of the farm and his oldest
son Edney inherited the land whose son Henry (called Henry of Caswell)
disposed of it in 1782 within days of his fathers death.

There was also a smaller 50 acre piece of land near this farm. Still
tracing
it down.

Morratico Baptist Church is on part of the 266 acre farm. Still researching
exact location.

(Dan Tapscott. Kilmarnock Virginia , living within 2 miles of the original
farm.)

Henry married Ann Edney? Joseph Tapscott gives the following data on their
possible marriage date. "I do not have the record of their marraige but
Henry
was released from indenture in 1706/7 and on the 16 May 1711 in
Northumberland Order Book 1710-1713 they had a Richard Niggens (Nickens)
indentured to them.

The following is from Heinnigs Book on free persons of color

9. Richard2 Nickens (Elizabeth1, Richard1), born in August 1705, was "6
years
old next August" on 16 May 1711 when he was apprenticed by his mother
Elizabeth Nigings of Lancaster County to Henry and Ann Tapscott in
Northumberland County to be a joiner carpenter [Orders 1710-13, 21]. He was
probably the Richard Nickens who was number 37 in the Muster Roll of Major
William Shergold's Regiment of Currituck County, North Carolina Militia in
the 1750's, in the same list as Simon Shewcraft, a witness to Edward1
Nicken's 1735 Lancaster County will [Clark, Colonial Soldiers of the South,
657-8]. He was called "Richard Nickins of Currituck County Tailor" on 26
March 1751 when he purchased 70 acres in Pasquotank County on the south
side
of Great Swamp near the Great Swamp Bridge on 26 March 1751 [DB B:144].
This
land is located in present-day Camden County. He purchased 50 acres
adjoining
this land near the Great Swamp in adjoining Currituck County on 19 April
1768, another 50 acres adjoining this land a year later on 1 September
1769,
and another 120 acres on 1 June 1771 [DB 2:44, 135, 318]. His 2 February
1774
Currituck County will was proved 20 June the same year. His wife Rachel and
son Edward were his executors. His estate consisted of several hundred
acres
of land, a slave woman named "Sooke," and four guns. He left land "near the
great swamp" in Pasquotank County to his daughters and his shoemaking tools
to Edward. The will mentioned his children and grandchildren: Philip,
Edward,
Roland, and Proskate Nickens [WB 1:92-94]. "

This Henry must have been ill when a trust deed was established 15
September
1725 in Northumberland County, Virginia, to Richard Lee for their three
sons
Henry, Edney and James. Henry's will was recorded 12 April 1727. Chris
Kirk,
late administrator, but the court having this day discharged the sd. Chris.
from the sd administration and committed the same to Benja. George, Jr.,
and
Ann his wife late widow of sd deceased. W. B. 10, p. 553. One old record
states the Methodist Bishop Enoch George was a half brother of Henry
Tapscott. Ann Tapscott married Benjamin George as her second husband.

Spouse: Ann EDNEY
( by Dan Unknown Birth--Died c 1773)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Spouse Notes:
One female descendant of Ann and her second husband, Benjamin George was
named Ann Edney George, which gives the best clue yet for the maiden name
of
Ann.

Marriage Date: Before 16 May 1711
Marriage Place: Great Wicomico Parish, Northumberland Virginia

Children: Edney C 1714--Dan
James C1722--- Dan <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Henry C1716---Dan

1.1a Edney TAPSCOTT*

Birth Date: Circa 1715 <<<<<<<<<1714 ? Dan

Notes:
INVENTORY BY EDNEY TAPSCOTT 9 JULY 1735 BOOK 12 P 343

>From THE VIRGINIA GENEALOGIST, Volume 11, Number 2, April - June, 1967

"The Chilton Families of Virginia" by John Frederick Dorman

George Chilton married by 11 July, 1706, Elizabeth (-----) Woodward, widow
of
William Woodward. George Chilton on 9 Oct., 1724 gave three negroes to his
wife's granddaughter Judith Purcell, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth
Purcell. He made his will in Lancaster County on 17 Oct., 1726. His wife's
granddaughter Judith Purcell was given his best table, press and desk. The
residue was to be equally divided among George, Samuel and Benony, sons of
his brother Benony Chilton, Stephen and William, sons of his brother Willm.
Chilton, and Eliza. Purcell and her children Judith and George. His wife
Elizabeth named executrix and the will was proved 12 Feb., 1728/29. The
inventory of his estate was made March 1728/29 . His widow had already
remarried and signed the inventory as Elizabeth Smith. Her third husband,
whom she married in Feb. 1728/29, was the Rev. Charles Smith of
Northumberland County.

His second wife was Mary (Shapleigh) Waugh;

**. MARY WAUGH WIDOW OF WILLIAM WAUGH MARRIED EDNEY TAPSCOTT
AT LANCASTER VA. 16 FEB 1762.. AT ORDER BOOK 10 PAGE 235 EDNEY IS APPT.
GUARDIAN FOR JUDITH, MARIAH,ELIZABETH AND NANCY WAUGH ORPHANS OF WILLIAM
WAUGH..

WB 22 PAGE234 MARY TAPSCOTT NAMES DAUGHTERS MRS GEORGE, MRS BARTLETT JAMES
,MRS MASON. ONLY NAMES 3 AND ALSO NAMES GRANDCHILREN.

Edney also had possession of the 266 acre farm of his father Henry at his
death

**** DEED BOOK 19 PAAGE 74 LANCASTER COUNTY VA ----14 NOV 1772

I DO HEREBY BY THESE PRESENTS DELIVER UNTO EDNEY TAPSCOTT OF THE COUNTY OF
LANCASTER ,HIS HEIRS, ADMINISTRATORS,EXECUTORS AND ASSIGNEES THE LAND
SITUATE
IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASTER DUE HIM BY REVISION BY DEED OF GIFT RECORDED IN
NORTHUMBERLAND
SIGNED BY ANN GEORGE
RECORDED 18 MARCH 1773 BY T B GRIFFEN CLERK LANCASTER COUNTY VA

And his oldest son Henry who inherited at his death sold it viz----

**** HENRY AND WINIFRED TAPSCOTT OF CUMBERLAND COUNTY GRANT TO THOMAS
HAYDON
OF NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY 266 ACRES (HENRY 1 TAPSCOTT'S LAND) FOR $240 ON 13
FEB 1782..DB21 P 2 LANCASTER COUNTY VA

Edney's will

* NOTE: EDNEY WRITES WILL 7 JAN. 1782 NOTE: WILL PROBATED 17 JAN. 1782 BY
HENRY TAPSCOTT WB20 PAGE 220 LANC.CTY.

Henry sold the farm within a few weeks of his fathers death, as he was
living
in Cumberland County and had no use for it.

[Information above provided by Dan Tapscott Kilmarnock, Va.]

Spouse: Unknown UNKNOWN

Children: Henry

Other spouses: Judith PURCELL
Mary WAUGH

1.1a.1 Henry TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: 1745/1746
Birth Place: Virginia
Death Date: 1817
Death Place: Caswell County, North Carolina

Notes:
Henry was a resident of Cumberland county, Va. which is next to Buckingham
in
1782 when his father Edney died. He and his wife signed a deed here in
Lancaster County selling Henry I's property which Edney had possession of,
(the 266 acre tract.) at Deed Book 21 and page 1. This deed is currently in
very poor shape from handling over the years. I have abstracted it but it
is
so worn the Clerk of the Court doesn't want to remove and copy it. (Joseph
Tapscott)

Spouse: Winifred HILL
Birth Date: About 1743
Birth Place: Northumberland County, VA
Spouse Father: Castello HILL (1706-1750)
Spouse Mother: Anne WEBB

Children: William
Edney
John
Nancy married Henry Tapscott, son of Samuel and Winifred Hill Tapscott
Elizabeth "Betsy"
Mary "Polly" A. (H)

1.1b Edney TAPSCOTT*

(See above)

Spouse: Judith PURCELL

Marriage Date: 11 February 1758
Marriage Place: Lancaster County, Virginia

Children: Ezekial

Other spouses: Unknown UNKNOWN
Mary WAUGH

1.1b.1 Ezekial TAPSCOTT

Death Date: 1761

1.1c Edney TAPSCOTT*

(See above)

Spouse: Mary WAUGH

Spouse Notes:
Edney was the guardian for Judith and her 3 sisters.

WB 22 PAGE234 MARY TAPSCOTT NAMES DAUGHTERS MRS GEORGE, MRS BARTLETT JAMES
,MRS MASON. ONLY NAMES 3 AND ALSO NAMES GRANDCHILREN.

Mary Tapscott's will, written 16 Dec 1790 and probated on the 17 Jan 1791,
and recorded in Will Book 22 at page 234, Lancaster County.

Marriage Date: 16 February 1762
Marriage Place: Lancaster County, Virginia

Children: Danno<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Darcus-- Dan**
John
Elizabeth
Sukey <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< aka Susanna Dan**
Catherine

Other spouses: Unknown UNKNOWN
Judith PURCELL

1.1c.1 Danno TAPSCOTT<<<<<<<<<< aka DArcus

Spouse: Jeduthan GOERGE

1.1c.2 John TAPSCOTT

Spouse: Mary SPILLMAN

Children: Catherine

1.1c.3 Elizabeth TAPSCOTT

Spouse: Mr. CLAYTON

1.1c.4 Sukey TAPSCOTT<<<<<<<<<<<<< aka Susanna

Spouse: Nicholas Lawson GEORGE
Spouse Father: Benjamin, Jr. GEORGE (-1791)
Spouse Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN

1.1c.5 Catherine TAPSCOTT

1.2 James TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: Circa 1710/1712<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<c1722 Dan****
Birth Place: Northumberland County, Virginia

Notes:
James Tapscott' will was written 5 December 1769; probated 8 January 1770.
He named his children listed below. Aside from some items, all of his
moveable estate and slaves were to be divided among his five children.
Exers: Brothers Henry Tapscott and Benjamin George. Wit: Enoch George,
George Tapscott, Benjamin George.

1769 will of James TAPSCOTT Northumberland Co VA Record Book 10 page 456

[transcribed from the original by Lin Van Buren]

In the Name of God Amen I James Tapscott of
the County of Northumberland and Colony of
Virginia being very sick and weak but of Perfect
Sence and memory blessed by God, but Calling to
mind the Uncertainty of this Life do make this my
Last will and Testament in manner following (Viz): --

Imprimis I Resign my Soul to God and my Body to
the Earth to be Decently buried at the Discretion
of my Executors hereafter Named, and as to my
worldly goods I dispose thereof as followeth: ~

Item, I give to my son George Tapscott all my
wearing Cloaths Silver Shoe-Buckels, and Riding
Horse Saddle and Bridle, and My big Gun.-

Item, I give to my Son Henry Tapscott my Little Gun.--

Item, it is my Desire that all my Debts Should be paid
Out of my Moveable Estate, and after they are paid
then to be Equally Divided among my five Children,
George Tapscott, Ann Conway Tapscott, Caty
Tapscott, Betty Tapscott and Henry Tapscott, to
them and thier [sic] Heirs forever.~

Item, as to my Negroes that I have not made over to
them in Court it is my Desire they Should be Equally
Divided among my five children above-mentioned, to
them and their Heirs forever.--

Lastly I do Nominate and Appoint my Brother Henry
Tapscott and my Brother Benja. George, Executors
of this my Last Will and Testament hereby Revoking
all Other Wills by me heretofore made as Witness
my hand and Seal this 5. Day of December, 1769.

[Signed] James Tapscott {Seal}

Signed, Sealed and Acknowledged
by the first mentioned James -
Tapscott to be his Last will -
In Presence of
Enoch George
George Tapscott
Benja. George.-

At a Court Held for Northumberland County the
8. day of January 1770.~
This Last will & Testament of James Tapscott deced.
was Presented in Court by Benjamin George, one of
the Executors therein Named, who made Oath thereto
according to Law. & the same being Proved by the
Oaths of Enoch George & George Tapscott two of
the Witnesses thereto was Admitted to Record
and on the Motion of the said Executors giving
Security Certificate is Granted him for Obtaining a
Probate thereof in due form.~

Teste
Thos. Jones C. N. C.

Division of slaves:

Division of slaves of James Tapscott deceased
Northumberland Co VA Record Book 8 page 541

[Note: I am transcribing this from a transcript, and
not from the original document, which I have not seen.
The sums do not tally; I am typing them as they
appear. The first column is pounds, the second
is shillings and the third is pence. In "old money",
there were 20 shillings in a pound and 12 pence
in a shilling. [Lin Van Buren]

Jan. 1772 --- James Tapscott

In Obediance to the order of Court Notes, the 13
January, directing us to divide the estate of James
Tapscott, decd, among his five children, agreeable
thereinto, we met and on valueing the slaves and
examining the sales, find that their [sic] is the sum
of L51..2..8 1/2 for each child the lotts made out of
Drawn as appears below givin under our hands this
20 January 1772.

Anthony Sydnor
John Heath

Lott
No. 1
Betsy [sic] Tapscott
Keep a fellow 75
pay Nancy cash 21..11..10
pay George cash 2.. 5.. 6 1/2
__________
23..17.. 3 1/2
__________
66.. 2.. 8 1/2

Lott
No. 2
George Tapscott
old Lucy a wench 25
Rec. from Betty [sic] 2.. 5.. 5 1/2
Rec. from Catherine [sic] 23..17.. 2 1/2
__________
L51..2.. 3 1/2

Lott
No. 3
Nancys (Ann) [Tapscott was typed, then struck through]
Young Lucy 20
Rec. from Betty [sic] 21..11..10
In cash 9..10..10 1/2
__________
L51..2.. 7 1/2

Lott
No. 4
Henry Tapscott
Cash in the Ex. hands L61.. 2.. 8 1/2

Lott
No. 5
Catherine [Tapscott was typed then struck through]
Soloman, a fellow 75
pay expe. [sic] 23..17.. 3 1/2
__________
L51..2.. 3 1/2

At court held for Nothumberland Co. the 8 day of
June 1772.

This Report and Divisions of the estate of James
Taspcott, decd, was this day returned and ordered
to be Record [sic].

Spouse: Catherine UNKNOWN

Children: George
Ann Conway
Catherine "Cathy"
Elizabeth "Betty"
Henry

1.2.1 George TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: Circa 1744/1745
Death Date: Before 1790
Death Place: Buckingham County, Virginia

Notes:
Crozier's Virginia County Records, Vol. IV.
Lancaster Co. p. 56
George Tapscott m Elizabeth James 16 Nov 1780

George received all his father's wearing clothes, silver shoe buckles,
riding
horse, saddle, bridle, and "my big gun"

Source: "Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary
War Pension Files Vol III N-Z" by Virgil D. White

"TAPSCOTT, George, VA Line, R18351 also VA
1/2 Pay, on 13 Jul 1812 William & Raleigh Tapscott
appl in Buckingham Co VA for letters of adm'r as
heirs of dec'd sol George Tapscott, in 1847 in
Buckingham Co VA sol's only heirs were William
Tapscott (adm'r), Nancy W. (Tapscott) who m
Robert Evans, Sarah S. (Tapscott) who m Isaac
Baber, James, George & Realeigh Tapscott &
Elizabeth (Tapscott) who m John N. Blankenship,
date of sol's death was not given"

A Family Bible belonging to his grandson George5
Tapscott (1819-1901) makes this mention of
George3 (James2, Henry1) Tapscott:

"George Tapscott son of James Tapscott
Bornd 1748 Died 1787"

Spouse: Sarah "Sally" HILL

Children: William Hill
Nancy W.
Sarah S.
James
Raleigh
George
Elizabeth

1.2.2 Ann Conway TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: Circa 1750
Birth Place: Northumberland County, Virginia

Spouse: John HAYNIE

Marriage Date: 7 November 1774
Marriage Place: Lancaster County, Virginia

Children: Elizabeth
Mary
Hannah
John
Ann
Samuel

1.2.3 Catherine "Cathy" TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: Circa 1752

Spouse: James HAMMOND

Marriage Date: 17 June 1784
Marriage Place: Lancaster County, Virginia

1.2.4 Elizabeth "Betty" TAPSCOTT

1.2.5 Henry TAPSCOTT

1.3a Henry TAPSCOTT*

Birth Date: 1722<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<c1716 by date of court case vs Benj.
George Sr and Ann Dan *********
Death Date: 1781

Notes:
Named in a deed of trust by his father 15 September 1725 in Northumberland
County, Virginia, to Richard Lee to care for his sons.

(According to research listed in the William and Mary College Quarterly,
Volume VIII, Henry Tapscott was chosen to serve on the County Committee for
Lancaster county on 6 February 1775)
Henry of Parish of Christ Church had his will dated 29 December 1777;
recorded 19 April 1781. He named his wife Mary, and his children named
below. Execrs: wife and friends Richard Mitchell and sons Joseph and
Rawleigh Tapscott. Wits: John Chinn, Richard Mitchell, Jos. Shearman. W.
B.
20, p. 190. (Abstracts Lancaster County, Virginia, Wills - 1653-1800.)

Spouse: Mary STOTT132
Birth Date: 1751
Death Date: 1793

Children: James
John
Ann
Henry
William

Other spouses: MARY SHEARMAN<<<<< DAN********

1.3a.1 James TAPSCOTT

Birth Date: 1753
Death Date: 1812....... probably around 1800

Notes:
Appointed as the coroner for the county on the resignation of Edwin Conway.
{sic. James attended school in Scotland as physician] 1790 Dan

>From the Lancaster County, Va. Deed Book 23 page 33..... James Tapscott
and
Susanna [Wood] Tapscott Grant to James Ewell Jr. a tract of Property
running
from the courthouse down to Charles Carter's great mill [present day rt.
200]
Dated 23 July 1794.. This shows that James continued to have business in
Lancaster even after moving to Berkeley County and Augusta.. 18th century
commuter!! [Unrecorded source]

Spouse: Susanna WOOD

1.3a.2 John TAPSCOTT

1.3a.3 Ann TAPSCOTT

Spouse: Charles ROGERS

1.3a.4 Henry TAPSCOTT

Death Date: 1818

1.3a.5a William TAPSCOTT*

Spouse: Frances WASHINGTON

Marriage Date: 1 February 1789
Marriage Place: Frederick County, Virginia

Other spouses: Catherine BAYLOR

1.3a.5b William TAPSCOTT*

(See above)

Spouse: Catherine BAYLOR

Marriage Date: 3 December 1801
Marriage Place: Berkeley, Virginia

Other spouses: Frances WASHINGTON

1.3b Henry TAPSCOTT*

(See above)

Spouse: Mary SHINN

Other spouses: Mary STOTT (132)

Reference Note 132
Will of John Stott written eighth day of October 1761, Lancaster County,
Virginia.

http://mail2web.com/ .

This thread: