TAYLOR-L Archives

Archiver > TAYLOR > 1999-06 > 0930569801

From: <>
Subject: Re: [TAYLOR-L] 1758 Will of Robert Taylor of Edgecombe Co., NC
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:36:41 EDT

Bill, I'm not sure I saw your earlier post on Robert TAYLOR of Edgecomb CoNC,
however, did you data from 'Southern TAYLOR Families' by CASEY? This stated
that in 1704 there were only 2 Robert TAYLORs in VA. One in NorthamptonCoVA &
the other in Surry & Isle of Wight Cos VA. Both seem to have connections to
different Etheldreds & the Surry one went to EdgecombeCoNC & had sons Robert
Jr, Edward, Joseph, Wm, Henry, Richard, Thomas, Billington, Nimrod, & Hudson
plus dts Judith & Rachel, & Ann who had md a HUSE/HUGHES/HOUSE. This is per
will Sep 1758 which was witnessed by Wm HUDSONSr & Jr & a James VAULX.
Rob Jr was b 1703, md an Ann who may have been Elizabeth Ann [STONE] & sold
land in AmeliaCoVA 1749. Robert Sr md Martha (maybe dt/of BURTELL/BIRTELL or
a CROFT/CRAFT). Martha as a widow ran an ordinary in Hampton, Elizabeth City
Co VA per 1749. Rob Sr son/of Richard & Elizabeth of Barbados per 1718-1728.
a Wm HUDSON was appraiser of estate/of Thomas TAYLOR 19Feb1699/1700 Bk389/399
pg 170or176or178????couldn't read. Robert TAYLOR shown in deeds 1706
Elizabeth City Co VA, 1728 Prince George Co VA, 1739 Amelia Co VA. Etheldred
TAYLOR shown in deeds 1704 Surry Co VA, 1714 Isle of Wight Co VA, & 1733 Isle
of Wight Co VA. (in 1704, SurryCoVA also shows a Richard TAYLOR in the co, &
a Capt John TAYLOR owning land in but not living in this co).
Hudson/Hodson/Hutson TAYLOR shown in deeds Halifax/EdgecombeCoNC 1770, 1776
HalifaxCoNC, 1790 MontgomeryCoNC. (his bro Billington shown 1778 CravenCoSC)
Lots of HUDSONS in James City Co & Essex Cos VA per 1704. a Robert TAYLOR md
an Elizabeth [HUDSON] 10Feb1701 ElizabethCityCoVA. This needs to be reviewed
as I may have mistakes in this post. Maybe Rob Sr md Elizabeth Ann & maybe
re-md a Martha.??
A Robert TAYLOR owed 640 lbs tobacco to Capt Wm ARMISTEAD 18Feb1698/99
ElizabethCityCoVA. This Robert TAYLOR had wife named Mary per 1699. In Robert
TAYLOR's will, he mentions his 'now wife', implying there had been another
earlier.
--The Etheldred TAYLOR of Isle of WightCoVA seems to be connected to the
Samuel TAYLOR of OrangeCoVA....per 1733...
A Richard TAYLOR's wife named Judith, sold land HalifaxCoNC 17May1774.
Hudson & Nimrod both Rev War. Nimrod had a son named David who was also
called Daniel. (I have this to be a common thing in other families).
Confusing, I know, but hope someone will help correct & post for all. Barb in
VA

This thread: