TEXAS-CENTENNIAL-L Archives

Archiver > TEXAS-CENTENNIAL > 2011-07 > 1310194567


From: "Sarah Reveley" <>
Subject: [TX-1936] July 09, 1716
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 01:56:07 -0500


On this day in 1716, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches Mission
was founded by the Domingo Ramón expedition in a village of the Nacogdoches
Indians. Father Antonio Margil de Jesús was in charge of the mission, which
was abandoned temporarily in 1719 and became the first Zacatecan mission to
be restored by the Marqués de Aguayo in 1721. Although the Nacogdoches
mission was generally unsuccessful in its goal of converting the local
Indians, it provided an important presence to offset French influence. It
was permanently abandoned in 1773. In 1779 the deserted buildings formed the
nucleus for the settlement of Nacogdoches.

Copyright © Texas State Historical Association

[location has a Centennial marker ]


This thread: