THATCHER-L Archives

Archiver > THATCHER > 2004-09 > 1094266975

From: alan thatcher <>
Subject: Ten+ Generations of Thatchers in America (LONG) Part 2
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:03:00 -0700 (PDT)

(part two)

I am going to summarize the following generations of
my line of Thatchers. The families typically had many
children, most of whom survived into adulthood, a
testament perhaps to clean Quaker living. There are a
very few records of anything other than births,
deaths, or marriages. My line is that of mostly
oldest sons, who inherited the Thornbury farm, up
until the mid 19th Century. Looking back through the
family tree we see familiar Chester County Quaker
names like Sharpless, Yarnall, Williamson, Cox, and
Smedley, some more than once. In fact my
great-grandparents Albert Garrett and Mary Hibbard
Thatcher had at least two ancestors in common.

Jonathan (1667-1750) and Hannah Dicks (Dix) Thatcher
(dates?) were married in 1699. They had nine or ten
children, of whom our ancestor was the first son,
Richard, born in 1702 and our first ancestor born in
the New World. There was one other son, Jonathan, who
married a Wyeth--a Chester County name that later
became quite famous.

Richard (1702-1763) married Edith Grubb (?-1771) who
came from Brandywine Hundred, Chester County, in 1734.
They had ten children. We have a copy of this
Richards will. In it he makes allowances for his
widow and several daughters, and to his two youngest
sons, Samuel and Stephen, he gives some land he owned
in Berkeley County, (now West) Virginia, where I
believe a small gold rush was going on. (It seems
likely that many of the Thatchers in this country are
descended from these brothers.) To his oldest son
Thomas he gives the farm, the care of his mother, and,
rather touchingly, the care of his brother Jonathan,
who an old note describes as feeble-minded. However
Thomas died in 1773, at the ageof forty and
apparently unmarried, and at that point the farm
passed to the third brother, William. In the will
Richard described his land as being in two parcels,
one being partly in Thornbury Township and partly in
Concord Township in the county of Chester-containing
One Hundred and eleven acres or thereabouts... and
the other including the dwelling house and the tract
of land thereto belonging-containing about seventy
acres and adjoining the above mentioned one hundred
and eleven acres.

William Thatcher (1736 or 7-1807) married Sarah
Dickinson (1734-1817) of Lancaster County in 1757.
They had been living in New Garden, North Carolina,
where there was (and is) a sizeable Quaker community,
and where Sarah may have been a minister, but they
returned and settled in Thornbury. They had eight
children, of whom my ancestor William was the sixth.
Among his siblings, three of his sisters married
Garretts, one married a Sharpless, and one married a
Worral, as did his eldest brother Joseph. We dont
know why Joseph did not inherit the farm, nor another
brother, Richard.

William Thatcher (1770-1851) married Elizabeth
(Betsy) Garrett (1780-1830), the daughter of Joseph
Garrett of Concord Meeting. According to the current
owner of the old Thatcher farm, there was once a
plaque with copper lettering on the chimney of the
farmhouse, the largest portion of which is clearly
early 19th century. The plaque said W + B T 1811
and that would indicate that it was William and Betsy
who enlarged the farmhouse from the still-visible
early 18th C core (now the kitchen). (Sadly that
plaque disappeared some years ago when it was
supposedly being cleaned.) Their two oldest
daughters, Charity and Sarah, married John and Smith
Sharpless, probably brothers. There were two small
children who died on adjacent days in August 1810,
perhaps in an epidemic. There was a daughter, Betsy,
who married James Painter. There was a first Richard,
who died in infancy, and the ninth child was my
ancestor Richard.

The sixth child in that family was Garrett Thatcher
(1811-1894), and as the oldest surviving son, he
inherited the Thornbury farm. He is well-documented
in the Ashmead book; as of 1884 he was retired and
prosperous. He had a daughter, Emma, who married
George Painter, and a son named Howard. The Ashmead
book makes no note of Howards marriage, and I found
his gravestone (he died in 1905) next to his parents
at Concord Meeting. I strongly suspect that it is
through Garrett Thatchers daughter Emma that the farm
passed into the Painter family. The current owners
father bought the farm from an elderly couple named
Painter in the 1930s, and they told him that the farm
had been passed down only through family lines, and
had never been sold since the time of William Penn. As
we have seen, they were nearly correct.

Richard Thatcher (1819-1892) was the third surviving
son in the family of Richard and Betsy. He was my
great-great grandfather. He married Rebecca Sharpless
Cassin (1821-1911), yet another link to that family,
in 1843. He seems to have been an ambitious and
restless man. He farmed at East Nantmeal and Darby,
without great success, later he kept a rooming house
profitably for visitors to Philadelphias Centennial
Exposition of 1876, and as a middle-aged man he opened
a cotton spinning mill on the Darby Creek. He and
Rebecca had three sons, of whom the middle, Albert
Garrett Thatcher, was my great-grandfather.

Albert Garrett Thatcher (1846-1928) grew up as a farm
boy. He served during the Civil War, interrupting his
schooling, but saw no action. His fathers spinning
mill had failed, but as a young man he went into
business with his fathers former foreman, Jacob
Barlow, and they founded a very successful mill, which
through several steps of growth and merger became the
company Standard-Coosa-Thatcher, which had plants in
the Southeast, a sales office in Philadelphia, and
which led a substantial branch of the next generation
of the family to migrate to the Chattanooga, Tennessee
area. Albert married Mary Hibbard (18??-1940), of the
Plumsock Farm, adjacent to Willistown Meeting. Albert
and Mary had six children, of whom my grandfather
Alfred was the fourth. At this point the family was
established and quite prosperous, and all these
children were able to attend college, all of them
Swarthmore but for my grandfather who attended Cornell
(09). (Remarkably for the time, Mary Hibbard herself
was a Swarthmore graduate, and named my grandfather
Alfred Haviland for a college friend who had died
young.) Some of the siblings stayed in the Chester
County area, and one, Charles, was a professor at
Swarthmore. The family lived mostly in Wilmington,
Delaware, moving later on to a large house in
Swarthmore. Albert Thatcher died in 1940, at Friends
Meeting in Darby, Pennsylvania, where he was visiting.
Apparently he had just risen to speak, said his piece,
sat down, and quietly expired. Late in life, A. G.
Thatcher set down some memoirs which were published in
The Spindle, a magazine published by
Standard-Coosa-Thatcher. There was a small private
printing of these memoirs as a book, and while much of
the book concerns the business and the cotton trade,
the personal notes are very interesting, particularly
the part about his boyhood, his service in the Civil
War, and the struggles of his father.

The next generation is that of my grandfather and his
siblings. I met most of these people as a boy, and
since my grandfather lived to be 95 I got to know him
pretty well as a young man. I also have a short
manuscript of memoirs which he wrote in his late 80s,
which I treasure.
Here are a few notes on the members of this
generation:

William Hibbard and Gertrude Wood Thatcher lived in
Swarthmore; he commuted to Philadelphia, where he ran
the sales office of Standard-Coosa-Thatcher
company."Will" died many years before any of his
siblings of Lou Gehrig's disease. They had three
daughters, all of whom married and had children.

Herbert Spencer and Florence Monaghan Thatcher lived
much of their lives in Tryon, NC, after he retired
early from Standard-Coosa Thatcher. They adopted a
daughter, who married and had children.

Richard Cassin and Mary Adamson Thatcher lived on
Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. Dick became the
president of Standard-Coosa-Thatcher. They had three
daughters and two sons; the sons continued the company
until its end in the 1980s. Aunt Mary survived her
husband by many years and enjoyed a lot of
international travel in her 70s and 80s. She lived to
be 103.

Alfred Haviland and Miriam Hines Thatcher had three
sons, the middle of whom is my father. Alfred retired
as Treasurer of Standard-Coosa-Thatcher and lived on,
alert and active, to his mid-90s. My grandmother
Miriam was a Swarthmore graduate and taught at the
University of Chattanooga.

Charles Garrett and Angeline Power Crum Thatcher
lived in Swarthmore and were very close with Will and
Trudy. Charles was an engineer; he worked in the
commercial field and as a professor and later,
business manager of Swarthmore College. They had two
sons and a daughter.

Mary Alberta Thatcher and Frank Fitts lived in rural
Chester County, where Uncle Frank had a busy farm
stand for many years. They had three daughters, one
of whom still lives today within a few miles of the
old Thatcher farm her ancestors settled on over 300
years ago.

The next generation is that of my father and his
cousins; out of respect for their privacy I will end
this account here.

*********

GENERATIONAL LINE

I have indicated my ancestor in each generation with
an *.

Generation 1 in America:
*Richard Thatcher, b. c. 1645 Uffington, Berkshire,
England, d. 1722, Thornbury Twp, Pennsylvania
m. Jane (or Jean) Stevens of Uffington (b.? d.
apparently before 1685)
married at Uffington, 4/24/1667

Generation 2:
children of Richard and Jane Stevens Thatcher:

*1. Jonathan Thatcher b. Uffington, Berkshire 2-1-1669
d. Thornbury, 1750
2. Jane Thatcher b. Uffington, Berkshire 12-1-1670
Jane married Wm. Brinton the younger in the family
log house at Thornbury in 1690.

Jonathan Thatcher (1669-1750)
m. Hannah Dix, (dates?) daughter of Peter and Esther
Dix (Dicks) who came from Chester, England, in 1686
marriage 1699, Concord Meeting

Generation 3:
children of Jonathan and Hannah Dix Thatcher:

1. Jane
2. Ann
3. Mary
4. Elizabeth
5. Deborah
6. Esther
7. Hannah
*8. Richard
9. Jonathan

Hannah married John Taylor in 1753.
Jonathan married Mary Wyeth in 1727.
Richard married Edith Grubb in 1734.

Richard Thatcher, b. Thornbury, 1702 d. Thornbury,
1763
m. Edith Grubb, daughter of Emmaneul Grubb of
Brandywine Hundred b. ? d. 1771
m. 11/23/1734 at Chichester Meeting

Generation 4:
children of Richard and Edith Grubb Thatcher:

*1. William b. 1736, d. 1807
2. Hannah, married Joshua Haines 1757
3. Sara, married a John Bailey or Bayliss
4. Thomas, d. 1773 apparently unmarried
5. Jonathan, died unmarried, apparently feebleminded
6. Samuel, moved to Berkeley County, VA (now W VA)
7. Phoebe, married John Hiatt
8. Mary, d. 1784
9. Stephen, moved to Berkeley County, VA (now W VA)
10. Anna

William Thatcher, b. 12/7/1736/7?, Thornbury , d.
2/1/1807, Thornbury
m. Sara (Sarah) Dickinson, b. 1/9/1734, d. 8/7/1817,
daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Miller) Dickinson of
Lancaster Cty, Penn.
married at Sudsbury Meeting, Chester County, PA,
5/4/1757

Generation 5:
children of William and Sara Dickinson Thatcher:

1. Elizabeth, b. 3/177/1758, m. Isaac Garrett
4/24/1783
2. Hannah, b. 9/14/1760, m. John Worrall, 4.12/1780
3. Joseph, b. 3.5.1763, d. 4.18/1836, m. Abigail
Worrall and Mary Marshall
4. Edith, b. 4/1765, d. 12.20/1791, m. Jessee Green
5. Richard, b. 2/24/1768
*6. William b. 11/22/1770, d. 12/16/1851, m. Betsy
Garrett, 1/22/1800
7. Sarah, b. 10/12/1773, d. 4/3/1809, m. Nathan
Sharpless
8. Phebe, b. 12/26/1776, d. 1/31/1864, m. Davis
Garrett

William Thatcher, b. 11/22/1770, d. 12/16/1851, born
and died at Thornbury
m. Elizabeth (Betsy) Garrett, daughter of Joseph and
Charity (Collins) Garrett, b. 7/17/1780, d. 11/1/1830
married at Concord Meeting, 1/22/1800

Generation 6:
Children of William and Betsy Garrett Thatcher:

1. Charity, b. 6/18/1801, d. 3/7/1831, m. John
Sharpless
2. Sarah, b. 10/2/1803, d. 4/10/1866, m. Smith
Sharpless
3. Richard, b. 5/4/1806, d. 5.10/1806
4. Hannah, b. 10/17/1807, d. 8/22/1810
5. Lydia, b. 3/24/1810, d. 8/21/1810
6. Garrett, b. 7/24/1811, d. 6/9/1894 married Hannah
H. Pyle ( he inherited the farm)
7. Betsy Garrett, b. 6/27/1814, d. 5/2/1875, m. James
Painter
8. William Penn, b. 9/14/1817, d. 5/24/1867, m. Sarah
Mattson
*9. Richard, b. 9/19/1819, d. 2/13/1892 m. Rebecca
Sharpless Cassin
10. Benjamin, b. 4/5/1823, d.? m. Adrienne Hooper
(Hoopes?)

Richard Thatcher, b. 9/19/1819, Thornbury, d.
2/13/1892 (probably at Darby, Pa.)
m. Rebecca Sharpless Cassin, b. 9/19/1821, d. 1911,
daughter of Thomas and Rachel (Sharpless) Cassin of
Providence and Concord
married 3/9/1843 at Providence (RI?)

Generation 7
Children of Richard and Rebecca Cassin Thatcher:

1. Edward Cassin , b. 9/4/1845, d. 1891, San Diego,
CA. Unmarried. USN Surgeon.
*2. Albert Garrett , b. 10/2/1846, d. 5/1/1928
3. William, b. 4/1/1854, d. 8/10/1855
4. Richard Henry b. 12/31/1855, d. ? m. Florence
Morse. lived in Darby, Pa. Called Uncle Harry by
great-nephews and nieces. No children of his own,
according to family members.
5. ? Possibly another child who died in infancy.

Albert Garrett Thatcher, b. 10/21/1846, East Nantmeal
Twp, Pa. d. 5/1/1928, Darby, Pa. m. Mary Hibbard, b.
11/2/1853 Plumsock Farm, Willistown Twp, Chester
County, Pa. d. Swarthmore, PA, 6/9/1940.
Albert and Mary are buried at Darby Meeting, Pa.
They were married 11/16/1876 in Friends Meeting at
house of Thomas Hall, West Chester, Pa.

Generation 8
Children of Albert Garrett and Mary Hibbard Thatcher:

1. William Hibbard Will b. 2/9/1879, Hulmeville, Pa,
d. 7/18/1953 of Lou Gehrigs disease. Married
10/21/1922 to Gertrude King Wood
(11/15/1891-8/3/1971).

2. Herbert Spencer b. 9/27/1882, Henry Clay, Delaware,
d. 8/26/1969, Gwynedd, Pa. Married 5/12/1917 to
Florence Jackson Monaghan (6/18/1884-11/1/1975).

3. Richard Cassin, b. 10/2/1884, Henry Clay, Delaware,
d. 3/9/1969, Lookout Mt, Tennessee. Married Mary
Adamson (4/26/1889-?/1992) in Philadelphia, 6/4/1913.

*4. Alfred Haviland b. b. 11/7/1887, Wilmington, Del.,
d. 7/3/1985, Lookout Mt, Tennessee. Married Miriam
White Hines (1/17/1888-9/25/1968) of Baltimore at
Swarthmore Meeting, PA, 6/28/1921.

5. Charles Garrett, b. 10/20/1891, Wilmington, Del.,
d. 12/12/1973, Swarthmore, Pa. Married Angeline
Johnson Power (8/28/1888-7/12/1978), known as Crum,
of Philadelphia, in Philadelphia, 11/27/1914.

6. Mary Alberta, b. 7/4/1895, Wilmington, Del, d.
2/26/1984, Newtown Sq, Pa. Married Frank Fitts
(9/24/1897-3/29/1978) of Washington, NJ, at Swarthmore
12/20/1924.

This takes us to the 9th generation of this line of
Thatchers in America, the generation of my father and
his many cousins, most of whom are still alive though
they are in their 70s and 80s. They have many, many
children, grandchildren, and even some
great-grandchildren.

---Alan Thatcher, 2004