THOMAS-L Archives

Archiver > THOMAS > 2000-10 > 0972136744

From: Candy Wagner <>
Subject: Re: [THOMAS] Earlier email re Enos Thomas
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:59:04 -0400

Hi Judy
I have 5 Henry Thomas's in my file, but none as old as yours. The earliest
would be one generation or more later than yours.
However, my Thomas family seemed to use the same first names over and over, so
your Henry might very well be a brother to Owen Thomas. I am including my Owen
notes below so you might look for his brothers. I only know of one so far, but
the time frame would say that it is possible there are more. Here is Owen's
family as I have seen it:
Descendants of Lewis Thomas*

1 Lewis Thomas* d: May 1751 in Frederick Co, Virginia
. +Jane Smith*
........ 2 John Thomas b: Abt. 1728
........ 2 Owen (General) Thomas* b: 1731 in Frederick Co., Virginia d: April
1808 in Washington Co, Kentucky
............ +Mary "Polly" Hardin* b: 1732 in Prince William C, Virginia d:
1805 in Hardin Co., Kentucky
................... 3 Lewis Thomas b: 1752 in Fredrick, VA d: October 29, 1833
in Washington Co., Ky
....................... +Mary Davis
................... 3 Enos Thomas* b: 1756 in Georges Creek, Penn d: Bef. 1834
in Grayson Co., Kentucky?
....................... +Sarah Garrett?
................... *2nd Wife of Enos Thomas*:
....................... +Mary Kingston? Kinnison?
................... 3 Henry Thomas b: February 17, 1758 in Fredrick, VA d:
September 04, 1837 in Long Creek, Caldwell Co, Missouri
....................... +Rachel Stillwell b: 1759 d: 1837 in Caldwell Co,
Missouri
................... 3 Hezekia Thomas b: Abt. 1760 in Fredrick, VA
................... 3 John (General) Thomas b: April 10, 1763 in Frederick Co,
Virginia d: 1835 in Terre Haute, Indiana
....................... +Susannah Hodgen b: October 03, 1767 in Pennsylvania
................... *2nd Wife of John (General) Thomas:
....................... +Rebecca Hodgen (Keith) b: November 04, 1784
................... 3 Hardin Thomas b: 1766 in Fredrick, VA d: 1837 in
Elizabethtown, KY
....................... +Hetty Garard Goodin
................... 3 Mary Polly Thomas b: Abt. 1768 in Fredrick, VA d: WFT
Est. 1769-1862
....................... +John Evans
................... 3 Catherine "Katy" Thomas b: 1771 in Fredrick, VA
....................... +James Haw d: 1808
................... *2nd Husband of Catherine "Katy" Thomas:
....................... +Ephriam Garrison
You can see that it would make a lot of sense for Owen to have named a son Henry
after his brother if there was one. It is not likely that Lewis Thomas only had
two children.
Following are a lot of notes on Owen and Lewis Thomas. Good luck, and be sure
to let me know if they connect to my Thomas line. I have also one more book I
am going to look in, for Amelia County, that I will let you know if it has
anything.
Candy (see below for notes)
26 Nov 1749 - Owen Thomas is listed as witness for the will of Moses Pinnett,
filed 26 Nov 1749, proved 27 March 1750, Fairfax County, Va. Legatees: sister
Mary Rice (in Maryland), Frances Hall (wife of William Hall). Exr: Sarah
Rice. Wit.: William Williams, Owen Thomas, John Mears. - "Abstracts of Wills
and Inventories, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1742-1801", J. Estelle Stewart King.
The wills of General George Washington and most of his family are also in this
book.

16 May 1751 - Frederick Co, Va. Will Book 1, pg. 454. Estate of Lewis Thomas -
Owen is listed as heir-at-law (under the Law of Primogeniture in England and
Virginia, the heir-at-law was always the eldest son except in very rare cases)
with Jane Thomas as widow. "Bond in the amount of 100 pounds current money is
given by John Smith (Jane Thomas, the widow, and Owen Thomas, the heir-at-law,
having relinquished their right of administration) as administrator of the
Estate of Lewis Thomas, dec'd, with Samuel Walker and Owen Thomas as his
securities."

8 Jan 1752 - Purchased 400 acres of land that was granted by deed and seal of
the Right Honorable Thomas (Lord) Fairfax dated 3 Oct. 1752 (surveyor of record
on deed Mr. George Washington) in Frederick Co Virginia - Northern Neck Grants,
Bk. H, p. 88. For the fee of one shilling for each 50 acres. Owen must have
been at least 21 as of this date, and if he was not yet 21 at the date of the
administration of his father's estate in May 1751, he can be assumed to be born
in 1731.
It is said that the 400 acres is adjoining the lands of Capt. George Johnston,
Benjamin Grubs, Mr. Richard Sanford.

1 Oct 1765 - Lease between Owen Thomas and Mary his wife of County of Frederick
"Rent of one Ear of Indian Corn on Lady Day next..."

2 Oct 1765 - Sold 50 acres for the sum of 100 pounds current money to Joseph
Thompson, part of a larger tract of the above 400 acres. In this entry the land
is said to be adjoining the lands of Col. George Washington. Witnesses: David
White, Thomas Mason, John Walton.
- Frederick County Deed Bk. 10, p. 609.

It has been stated by Elder Wilford Woodruf and Martha P. Jones Thomas that
Owen's son Henry Thomas served under Gen. Washington in the Rev. War.

Frederick County Virginia Vol. 5, Deed Books 15 and 16 1771-1775:
7 Aug 1771 - Lease between Owen Thomas and Mary his wife of Frederick Co.,
"Paying rent of one Pepper Corn on Lady Day next..."
8 Aug 1771 - Release between Owen Thomas and Mary his wife of Frederick. Co. for
remaining 350 acres of land in Frederick County.
8 Aug 1771 - Sold 350 acres to Phillip Pendleton, Frederick County Deed Bk. 15,
p. 167. Land is said to be adjoining lands of Capt. George Johnston, Benj.
Grubbs, Richard Sanford.
12 Sept 1771 - Mary Thomas wife of Owen Thomas releases Dower right to above
Land.
This was the last record on Owen Thomas in Frederick Co. Believed to have
migrated from Frederick to Fayette Co. Pennsylvania in 1771.

From Jane McCann Walsh: Why Fayett County?
It seems that some of the earliest settlers came here because they had been with
Geo. Washington in 1754 the expedition through here when they created and
surrendered at Fort Necessity or with Braddock in his campaign through here.
Also, those troops widen and extended the "road" they traveled. Others would
have been encouraged by their colony (Virginia) to settle lands here as part of
Virginia's claim to this area. Later with land grants stemming from military
service there was a push westward to find unclaimed land.
Another stimulant was Washington's continued interest in this area and his
ownership of many acres here.
Fayette had coal, iron, limestone and clay that was ideal for pottery making.
I've also heard that it had saltpeter which was essential for making ammunition
in the Rev. War. Iron was being manufactured here in the late 1700's. Coke
from its vast resources of coal was used in the manufacture of iron here as
early as 1817 by Isaac Meason in 1817 at Plumsock (Upper Middletown). The coal
and coke business flourished from about 1870 to about 1950.
Other specialized industries flourished here due to the natural resources,
especially the water power of its many mountain fed streams. One of the more
interesting was glass making in New Geneva from the late 1700's through 1850 and
also long rifle making.

Was Owen a General in Revolutionary War?

Deed abstracts from Fayette Co., Pa Deed Book A
20 May 1784 - Owen Thomas of Springhill Twp. to George Gans. This land was
granted to William Hardin and deeded to Owen Thomas on 26 Feb 1780
28 Mar 1785 - John Hardin deeds land to Owen Thomas in Springhill Twp.
27 Sep 1786 - Owen Thomas as having land in Springhill Twp.

Moved to Washington Co. Kentucky at or near close of Revolutionary War, possibly
to Nelson Co. in 1790. Believed to have come to Kentucky with the Hardins and
Daniel Boone. A letter from the Kentucky Historical Society to Wilford W.
Whitaker, Jr., dated Feb 28, 1956 states: "We have a great deal of information
on the Hardin and Thomas families, since both families came to Kentucky with
Daniel Boone." - cited in "Hardin and Harding of Va. and Ky." compiled by
Dorothy Wulfeck, 1965 supplement p. xvii.
Owen and Mary Thomas' home on the Louisville-Nashville Road was built by Thomas
Lincoln, the father of Abraham Lincoln. See Haycraft's History of
Elizabethtown, KY.

1792 Washington Co., KY., Dept. of State Archives
Tax List of 1792 Tax List for Washington Co., KY from the book
Early KY. Tax Records page 257
LISTS THOMAS, OWEN his horses, cattle & land
THOMAS, ENOS " " "

1792 Washington Co., KY Tax List - cited in "Hardin and Harding of Va. and Ky."
compiled by Dorothy Wulfeck, 1965 supplement p. xvii.
Name Acres
Owen 100
Lewis 900 [oldest son; more land?]
Henry 100
Harding ------
Isaac ------

In 1804, Owen Thomas and J. Stapleton signed as sureties for Edward Atkins as
coroner. (Washington County?) - cited in "Hardin and Harding of Va. and Ky."
compiled by Dorothy Wulfeck, 1965 supplement p. xvii.

April 4, 1808 - Washington County, Ky., Court Order Bk. B, p. 37. On the motion
of Lewis Thomas and Hardin Thomas who made oath and with Mark Hardin and Clemans
Gillihan their sureties, executed and acknowledged bond in the penalty of $1800
conditioned on the lawful administration of the Estate of Owen Thomas, deceased.

Washington County, Ky Wills 1792-1853
Thomas, Owen - Inventory 14 April 1808
Thomas, Owen - Settlement 20 July 1811 - 9 Sept 1811

May be the uncle of Owen Thomas, brother of Lewis Thomas?:
Thomas Family
Sources: Rice, Otis K. The Allegheny Frontier; West Virginia Beginnings,
1730-1830.

Hard hit was the Cacapon River area, where 23 persons were captured or killed
June 1764. Among
the prisoners was the wife of Owen THOMAS, who had been killed the previous
summer. However,
while crossing the South Branch, Mrs. THOMAS eluded her captors by jumping into
the stream &
floating with the current until she reached Williams' Fort, 2 miles below the
Hanging Rock. Her
daughter saved herself by running 9 miles to Stephen's Fort on Cedar Creek.

Unusually, if this is Owen's uncle, he is also married to a Mary, as the full
version of the story indicates.

Reference to Lewis Thomas:
Will book 1 p 454 dated 16 May 1751

<HTML>The George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress<BR>
<BR>
Letter George Washington to Mrs. Sampson Darrell, June 18, 1786 <BR>
<BR>
The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources,
1745-1799. John C. Fitzpatrick, Editor.--vol. 28<BR>
<BR>
June 18, 1786.<BR>
<BR>
Madam: A tract of land which I bought of Captn. Johnston (your deceas'd husband)
lying on Bullskin in Frederick (now Berkeley) county, is, as well as a great
many others, comprehended in the judgment lately obtained in the General Court
in favor of the Hires; but may, it is said, be relieved from the consequences if
it shall appear that this land was originally purchased from Hite. That the fact
is so there can be no doubt, but the difficulty lies in proving it. It would
seem by some papers in my hands that Captn. Johnston bought this land, wch. he
sold me from one Lewis Thomas; and that Lewis Thomas bought it of old Jost Hite,
father of the present complainants, who passed his Bond for the conveyance;
which bond it further appears was assigned to Captn. Johnston. Now, if this bond
is to be found among the papers of Captn. Johnston, for I have it not, it will
render null and void the claim of the Hites; unless it may be for the original
purchase money (which was very trifling), if it cannot be proven that it has
been paid.<BR>
<BR>
But if this bond is not in being, it is highly probable the Land will be
lost.<BR>
<BR>
The person to whom I sold this land is now calling upon me, this will oblige me
in turn to resort to the representatives of Capt. Johnston of whom I purchased,
and whose Deeds to me warrant it against the claim of every person whatsoever.
But all these difficulties (except as to the original sum, which was to have
been paid by Lewis Thomas to Hite) may be avoided if you fortunately should find
among Captain Johnston's papers, the original bond from Hite to Thomas for
conveyance of the land. It is for this reason I give you the trouble of the
present application.<BR>
<BR>
I am informed that commissioners are to meet some day this month, to receive
such evidence as can be offered in favor of the present possessors of the land,
without which the judgment will be final, I therefore pray that diligent search
may be made for Hites Bond, which may prevent a heavy loss, as the land, with
the improvements thereon, is now become very valuable. I am, etc.90<BR>
<BR>
[Note 90: From the "Letter Book" copy in the Washington Papers.] <BR>
<BR>

<HTML>The George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress<BR>
<BR>
Letter George Washington to Thornton Washington, June 22, 1786 <BR>
<BR>
The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources,
1745-1799. John C. Fitzpatrick, Editor.--vol. 28<BR>
<BR>
Mount Vernon, June 22, 1786.<BR>
<BR>
Dr. Thornton: Jnn. Throckmorton delivered me your letter of the 6th. inst: I am
under no apprehension that the title to the land on which you live can be
affected by the decision lately had in favor of Messrs. Hite and others. Such
papers as I can readily find respecting this tract, I send you. The patent from
the proprietors office, granted to Captn. George Johnston of whom I bought the
land particularly recites that it was granted by Jost Hire to Lewis Thomas, the
deposition of John Smith taken, and admitted in the former trial, and I suppose
is of record, with the copy of Lewis Thomas's bond passed for the payment
thereof, together with the statement subscribed by Colo. Grayson, places the
whole business in my opinion in a very clear and unequivocal point of view. But
if the Commissioners (which I can scarcely conceive) should be of a different
way of thinking, I should be glad to have time to illucidate matters more
fully.<BR>
<BR>
Colo. Grayson you will perceive certifies that what he has signed is a true copy
from the proceedings; in these it is expressly admitted by the complainants,
that Js. Hite did sell 425 acres; which upon a resurvey (possibly by adding a
little of the barrens) measured 552 acres. Not having the original bond from
Jost Hite to Lewis Thomas in my possession, I sent to the widow Darrell,
formerly wife of Captn. Johnston, to see if it could be found among his papers;
but she was from home and not likely, my messenger was informed, to return soon,
and very probably may be found as a deposit in the proprietors, as the Deed is
expressly founded upon it. In my judgment it is quite immaterial where it is, as
there is, besides admission of the papers, the most uncontrovertible evidence of
the sale to Thomas. By L. Thomas's bond to lost Hire, it appears that the money
was to have been paid, "at such time, that the said lost Hite, his Heirs, Exors,
Admrs or Assigns can obtain a good patent from the office."<BR>
<BR>
The only point therefore which can be disputed, according to my conception of
the case, is, if the purchase money has never yet been paid, who is liable, the
possessors of the land, or the persons to whom it was sold, or their
representatives? Whether the decree of the Court goes to this point, or what
powers are vested in the Commissioners respecting it I know not, never having
seen the judgment, and having had but a very indistinct report of it.<BR>
<BR>
The Ship with servants happening to be becalmed opposite to my door, I sent on
board to enquire for a Carpenter; only one stood upon the list, and he
professing not to understand much of the business, I concluded he understood
nothing of it, and therefore did not buy him for you.<BR>
<BR>
My best wishes attend you and your wife. I am, etc.97<BR>
<BR>
[Note 97: From the "Letter Book" copy in the Washington Papers.] <BR>

This thread: