THOMAS-L Archives

Archiver > THOMAS > 2006-01 > 1136735272

Subject: Oktibbeha Co., MS; Thomas Family
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:47:52 EST

My gggrandfather, Benjamin S. Thomas (b. 1822 TN) appears in the 1850 - 1870
census reports for Oktibbeha County, Mississippi. I have thorough family
records from that point forward, but have been unable to make a definitive
connection to any Thomases in the area or in Tennessee, where he seems to have
been born. The only other Thomas family in Oktibbeha County at the time was
that of Matthew / Matheus Thomas, who lived very near to Benjamin S., and
directly adjacent to the family of Benjamin S. Thomas' wife. There seems to be a
connection between Benjamin S. and Matthew, but I cannot seem to find
anything ironclad.

Below are details of these two families. If you are researching Thomases in
Lowndes, Clay or Oktibbeha Counties in Mississippi, please look to see if
you see anyone familiar. I would be greatful for any assistance.

Benjamin S. (Ben) Thomas, b. 1822 in TN died 1880 in MS, and is buried in
Mantee, MS. - farmer
Prudence (Valentine) - b. 1828 NC - wife
Rufus B. b. approx. 1844 MS Private, Company I "Johnston's Company" - 6th
MS Cavalry (with Paul Valentine - uncle).
Rachel b. approx 1849 MS (probable married name - Jones)
James b. approx. 1853 MS
William b. approx 1855 MS
Pleasant Perry b. approx. 1857 MS
Courtney b. approx. 1859 MS
Joseph b. approx. 1862 MS
Aaron b. approx. 1866 MS

Descendents of this family are found later in Lowndes Co. and Clay Co. in
MS, Tuscaloosa Co. and Jefferson Co. in AL, and in TX.

From the 1850 census for Oktibbeha Co., MS:

Matthew Thomas 60 NC
Nancy 38 GA
Benjamin 22 AL (assumed to not be the same as Benjamin S. Thomas)
James 16 MS
John 15 MS
George 13 MS
Martha 11 MS
William 8 MS
Margaret 6 MS
Josiah 5 MS
Charles 3 MS
Reddwick 11 mo? MS

Next door to Matthew Thomas

William Noel Valentine 49 NC (father of Prudence Valentine Thomas - wife of
Benjamin S.)
Mary 36 GA
William 16 MS
Margaret 13 MS
David 10 MS
Lucinda 7 MS
John 6 MS
John Morris 22 unknown
Joseph P. Valentine 24 NC
Margaret 25 SC

Other possible connections in the area are George and John Thomas, who lived
near Mathew Thomas in Lowndes County before Oktibbeha was formed from it -
all present in the 1837 State census of Lowndes County. W.C. and Andrew H.
Thomas could also be relatives to Benjamin S. Thomas, as they are found living
near a known Valentine relative in the 1850 Lowndes Co. census, and they are
both from TN and of similar ages to Benjamin S. Thomas.

Other known Mississippi surnames associated with this family are Aldridge,
Hays, Valentine and Perry. Thanks for your interest. - Michael Thomas

This thread: