THOMPSON-L Archives

Archiver > THOMPSON > 2000-12 > 0977492302

Subject: [THOMPSON-L] More John Thompsons
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:38:22 EST

Here's mine:

John A. Thompson born about 1803 in TN or NC. Married Joana Pierce in McMinn
County, September 5, 1829. Their children, all born in McMinn County:

John Thompson (what else?) born about 1830
Sarah Thompson, born about 1832
Louisa J. Thompson, born October 16, 1834
Francis Thompson, born about 1836
Margaret Thompson, born about 1838
Lucinda Thompson, born about 1840
George Washington Thompson, born about 1842
Mary E. Thompson, born about 1847

Joana Pierce Thompson died in 1855. John A. then married Minerva J. Burk on
August 19, 1855, in McMinn County. They had the following children:

Samuel Thompson
William Thompson
James Thompson
Robert Thompson

I have not researched this family at length, so I do not have birth year for
these boys. But they were born between 1856 and 1870.

I have a strange situation regarding the first John Thompson family. Not sure
how it can be resolved. Louisa married my 2g-grandfather in 1851. They
migrated to southwest Missouri in 1852.

Yet, she is shown still living in her parent's home in the 1860 census of
McMinn County - when I discovered this, I thought I had been listing the
wrong Louisa as my ancestor. I researched all the Thompsons in the area in
1850, and there were no others named Louisa that were old enough to marry.

Most of the other adult Thompson children were listed in the household as
well. In that day, it would have been extremely rare for adult children to
stay unmarried until they were almost 30.

Larry Wilson

This thread: