THORNTON-L Archives

Archiver > THORNTON > 2007-02 > 1171645592

From: "Chandler Eavenson" <>
Subject: Re: [THORNTON] Pedigree Data for William Thornton, Immigrant
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:06:32 -0500

It is not my intention to get involved in the discussion about
whether William, son of Roger, was the immigrant to VA. However
I might mention that the name Roger is a name in the Thornton
line in America. In the manuscript on "Ancestors
and Descendants of Rev. William S. Rogers and Mary Edna Gary
Rogers, 1642-1950", excerpts from some of the data therein is:

North Farnham Parish Register, Richmond Co., VA:
Thomas, son of Luke and Ann Thornton, born 5-5-1688
Mark, son of Luke and Ann Thornton, born 9-23-1686
Roger, son of Henry and Ann Thornton, born Jun 1, 1686
Henry, son of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 11-12=1709
Mary, dau. of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 1-5-1712
John, son of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 6-25-1718
Anne, dau. of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 2-9-1720
William, son of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 3-14-1722/3
Roger, son of Roger and Isabell Thornton, born 6-4-1725

Roger Thornton, son of Henry and Ann Debard, was born Jun 1,
1686. Died before May 6, 1730. Page 531, Richmond Co., VA
Isabella Thornton, Adm. of Roger Thornton's estate, bond
made 5-6-1730...Roger married Isabell cir. 1708. Will Bk,page 531.

Roger, Henry, John and William are in Granville Co., NC
1746-49-51-60-63. Henry, John, Roger in Capt. Sugar Jones Muster
Roll, Oct 8, 1754, Col. Wm. Eaton in charge, Granville, NC.
(William in Granville Co., NC 1775) Henry No. 32, Roger No. 34,
John No. 9. NC Records, Vol. 22, P.377.

Roger moved to Wilkes Co., GA 1785, Capt. Wilson's District.
State land grant in 1779. Was granted land in Green Co., GA,
that part later included in Hancock Co., GA 1785.

In 1770 Mary Thornton is a witness to a sale of land from
Matthew Duty, Bute Co., NC to Roger Thornton of Bute, Book
3, pge 47. Granville Co. records show Roger Thornton either
buying or selling land, 1749. Book C, Land Grants, p. 64. 1751
Book B, p. 11. 1760 3-11--1763 Roger sold land on Sandy Creek.
Wife Catherine relinquished dower. Roger and Catherine sign
deed, 1782-83-84 Book O, p. 239-335-342. 1765, Roger and Catherine
Book A, p.130, 1779, State Land Grant: To Roger Thornton, 53
acres in Bute, Book 7, p. 290.

Roger Thornton appointed one of a jury to view and lay off a
new road, 1768-1770-1771, Bute Co. Records in Raleigh, NC
Land office.

Roger Thornton, born 6-4-1725, N. Farnham Parish, Richmond Co,
VA, died Hancock Co., GA 1797(Will) Wife Catherine Lindsey,
m. 1761 or 1762, Granville Co., NC. Catherine living in 1797 when
Roger died. Daughter of Dennis Lindsey, Rev. Sol., Granville Co.,
NC....Dennis Lindsey's Will dated and probated Aug, 1762, Granville
Co., NC in which he mentions daughters Catherine, Winnie, Elizabeth,
Margaret (Mary?); sons: William and Benjamin; sons-in-law; Robert
Phillips, Ephriam Clanton and Roger Thornton.

If the above is confusing in some places, it is the way it was
presented in the manuscript. Mary Edna Gary Rogers died in 1931
in Elberton, GA at the age of 83 and is assumed to be the compiler
of the data in the manuscript. A copy of the manuscript is
supposedly filed in the Clayton Library, Houston, TX, perhaps
in other places.

Chandler Eavenson
Sautee-Nacoochee, White Co., GA
[Descendant of Benjamin Thornton, Sr. of Warren Co., NC and
Elbert Co., GA]