TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 1999-07 > 0932945784

From: <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: LOP filters: negation and Name group tag existance
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:36:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/99 3:48:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> >But you're right a NOT operand would be useful. The problem has been
> >discussed before but I can't remember what came out of it.
>

> I have TMG 4.0, and unless I misunderstand what you mean, it has the NOT
> options you seek: Does not equal, Does not contain, Does not begin with,
> Does not end with, Does not come after.

The 14 choices in the Operator popup list for the Name tag type group
do not seem to include Tag Exists/Tag Does Not Exist. (They do have "not"
variations of all the Operators that are in the list.)

If there were a NOT connector, on a par with OR & AND, it would
be more general and more powerful than having to rely on "not" versions
of the various operators (when the desired operator exists). Without the
NOT connector (or, alternatively, NAND & NOR), TMG's Boolean logic is
incomplete and it is impossible to construct many useful report filters.

The case I was working on when this came up was "flag all the married
women who don't have a Name-Marr tag". I bet you can't do it in one pass,
with a single LOP report :-)

I ended up doing it in 2 passes: One to set a temp. flag for all married
women, and a second pass to unset it for those with Any Name-Marr Surname Is
Not Empty
(which is the closest I could get to saying "remove those who have a
Name-Marr
tag from the result set"). With a NOT it would have been trivial to do all
this in
1 pass, rather than having to emulate NOT by unsetting the flag in a second
pass.

Lee agreed that this "is about the best there is as far as I can see".
JF Languy suggested a similar 2-pass approach which is logically
equivalent, just done in a different order.

If no one can demonstrate how to do this in one pass, then a NOT connector
is a definite Request For Enhancement to WG.

--Randy