TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 1999-10 > 0939212157

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Laptop CRW lockup - due to no printer on-line
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:15:57 -0400

Robin Lamacraft wrote:
>I have a laptop running TMG 4.0 which has run quite fine until I tried to
>design a new Gedcom Export report. I have generated many reports (and
>modified the report specifications many times) but never this.
>
>The process stops with a comment that "the printer is not ready" - then it
>generates a FoxPro error. When I restart TMG on that dataset it gives
>different Foxpro efrror . I can only start TMG by using "S" at startup and
>selecting another dataset. Once TMG is started, I can open the dataset
>where the error occurred and all is fine --- until I try to design a new
>GEDCOM report. It does not even open the CRW design windows it just stops
>with this printer not being ready message. This cycle is repeatable.
>
>Now this laptop *never* has had a printer attached locally - they have
>always been via my home network or my work network. It has a default
>printer defined (and about another 5 or 6 besides). So why in the case of
>designing GEDCOM output should this occur. It seems unreasonable for this
>report type to require a printer when I have not even got to the stage of
>defining the output destination (file of course)!
>
>Anyone else seen this strange behavior?

Not specifically, but are you trying to create the new report from scratch
rather than copying and modifying a prior report? I have noted an
occasional time in which a report definition has somehow gotten corrupted
(looks good in the Report Definition Screens). If I then create the report
as new, then the problem goes away. Then I just delete the old report(s)
and re-create them.

Hope this helps -