TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 1999-12 > 0945539789

From: iansinger <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: changing Christening to Baptism
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:56:29 -0500

> This was a subject for some discussion some years back. The end result was
> that there is no real clear distinction between the two terms.

I am not Christian but as it came from Judaism I think the Christening
was probably an equivalent of the circumcision where your relatives past
religion is acknowledged, and its assumed you will be brought up the
same way. The baptism is the equivalent of the bar mitzvah (which in the
tag sentences has the wrong pronunciation, if there is a right and wrong
between Ashkenazi and Sephardi) at which point you become a man and
formally accept the religion because you are old enough to make the
choice.

The Protestants came about because they protested some things that the
Catholics did and maybe thats why they moved the baptism up?

--

See my homepage at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~iansinger
Get free unlimited noncommercial web pages as www.rootsweb.com
Get free internet and mail access at www.freewww.com