TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 1999-12 > 0946681677

From: Bob Geldart <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Help - Back up problem
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:07:57 -0800

I think this is an interesting discussion for those interested in "tweaking
their systems"...

At 10:20 AM 12/31/1999 -0500, Lee wrote:

>One other thing to check is what is set as the Temporary Work Drive....

That's what I was looking for in the backup/zip process.

> This should be set to your fastest drive. Normally this will be your
> C: drive, but may be any other drive....

My (old 486) PC originally came with a 540 meg drive; I added a 2gig drive
as data drive with 4 partitions. In fact, the newer 2gig drive was faster
than the original C:

> - Even if TMG is installed on a physical drive other than C:, it would
> be good to have the Work drive set to C: as that would normally speed up
> the work since it would be on completely separate drives. To set a work
> drive to the other than C: when it is the same logical drive as the TMG
> drive would normally be less efficient as the seek time would increase....

My point, in Marsha's case, was that since she may constrained for room on
C:, that she might set the work drive other then C: (perhaps D:\Temp) where
there might be more room, in spite of a small loss in speed.

Anybody use virtual drives for work drives?

One more thought -- before I got my 2gig drive, I compressed my 540 meg
drive and got a lot of space. This was in Win95, and I never had a problem
attributable to compression.

Well, we're 7 hours into the new year, and no significant problems.
Happy New Year to you all, hope you make all your connections.

Bob
Maynard, MA