TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0946914127

From: "Hugh Wilding" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Source Entry - married or maiden surname?
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:42:07 -0000

On Monday, January 03, 2000 9:40 AM, Tony Hall
<>wrote:

[snip]

> Secondly, there's the use of Mrs with the *husband's* name. I suspect
> there's some etiquette involved with this! Can anyone explain it?
> (Should I be ducking?!) I certainly see both husband's and wife's name
> preceded by Mrs in common use here in the UK these days. But clarity is
> what's important in citations - so is it advisable to include the
> husband's name in this way in citations? It certainly adds
> information...

I think the correct etiquette is that on marriage the wife becomes Mrs John
Doe. If the wife reverts to Mrs Jane Doe, this implies he has died or
deserted/divorced her - whatever, she considers the marriage at an end.

> Thirdly, there's the address. Some of my relatives are sensitive about
> their current address being included in reports that I circulate, so I
> omit all of them, even from source citations. Each address is included
> in my dataset as an Address tag, but a report produces e.g. "1998
> address held by the author".

I find this too although often it's the specific identifying detail that
seems to cause most worry. I don't know if you have a copy of the UK-Info
CD (names, addresses, telephone numbers) but I now don't raise this in
*polite* conversation because of the hostility that I have met. I tend to
use the post town and county - here's an endnote as an example:

Thomas Frank Thurley and Helena Amy McConnell, marriage certificate, 26
December 1926, citing 1926 marriage, entry 384, Holy Trinity Church, West
Ham, Essex. Thurley Papers, Helena Randell, Maidenhead, Berkshire. Hereafter
cited as Thurley and McConnell marriage certificate (1926). Photocopy in
possession of author.

[Explanatory note to beginners: I've got a copy of my grandparents'
marriage certificate; my aunt holds the original.]

If I add name and address detail, this becomes:

Thomas Frank Thurley and Helena Amy McConnell, marriage certificate, 26
December 1926, citing 1926 marriage, entry 384, Holy Trinity Church, West
Ham, Essex. Thurley Papers, Helena Randell (née Thurley) (Mrs Michael
Randell), Fawley, Ray Park Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 8DZ.
Hereinafter cited as Thurley and McConnell marriage certificate (1926).
Photocopy held in Thurley Papers, Hugh St John Wilding, The Bungalow, Ray
Lea Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 8QA.

It is all becoming a bit unwieldy, is it not? And bear in mind that my aunt
has another 10 original certificates...

> So if I were to modify my present citation "standard" to include the
> husband's name but still not the address, I would end up with
>
> "Merry Moe (née Miller) (Mrs Montgomery Moe) ...".
>
> Hmmm, I think that needs some further work.

Or, if I now play Devil's Advocate, is it our mindset that needs to adapt?
If Elizabeth Mills reads this, will she say "Yup, that's what it takes - and
I'd really like to see UK mentioned in there as well <g> !" Please do
comment...

As a final aside, my sentence for the example is:

[SPOUSES' NAMES], marriage certificate, [COPY DATE], citing [YEAR] marriage,
entry [NUMBER], [SUB DISTRICT]. [REPOSITORY]<, [REPOSITORY ADDRESS]><.
Hereafter cited as [TITLE]>. Photocopy in possession of author<. [CD]>.

> Umm, Jeff, I hope no-one tries to build your family tree from these
> emails ;-)

Certainly be an interesting one!

Hugh Wilding
Berkshire, England