TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0946999980

From: "Leif B. Kristensen" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Source Surety Values
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:33:00 +0100

On Mon, 03 Jan 2000 23:26:57 -0600, "Gary D. Kee" <>
wrote:

>If I am writing something short for "general consumption" i.e. to a relative that
>is not researching but just wants to know something about the family, you are
>right that the false data has no real purpose. However, in working with other
>researchers, it is sometimes just or more perhaps more important to report the
>false information with a reason it is false.
[interesting discussion snipped]
>Back to the point of discussion, TMG negative surety level won't handle this
>without including all data, including thinks that I have just entered as research
>ideas. I would guess that there is a work around using one of the other features,
>possibly defining a special report in the CRW or alternatively a user defined tag
>that cites my sources as the the surety level of the incorrectness of the
>information.

There are other ways of handling false information than using the
ordinary tags with a negative surety. I've experimented with negative
sureties myself, but in reports, this method usually do not convey the
information the way I want it. I feel that such discussions really
belong in the Citation Detail. You may also put it in a special Memo
tag.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen | Standup Philosopher,
Nils Kirkeruds vei 8 B | PC and Genealogy Addict