TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0947172991

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Grouping sources
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:36:31 -0500

wrote:

> Do most people group sources together, i.e., New York Vital Records - Births
> and then specify the individual in the citation detail, or do you set up a
> separate source for each record you find?

I think most do have one source for a specific group fo records.
However I would not use source of "New York Vital Records - Birth"
unless the state of NY has a specific birth registry. Do not lump NYC,
Albany, and Buffalo records together. Each jurisdiction or church etc.
should have its own source.

> I am always having to rewrite the source bibliography and footnote entries
> because I generally enter the sources as groups. But if I were to change to
> individual entries would the list be incredibly long to search every time I
> need to reference something?

The only Mills type source that is individually centered is the census
sources. Her formats were not designed for a computer generated
report. However most others work in TMG.

I do hope BobV rewrites the templates in Ver 5 to better reflect the way
the program works.

bob gillis