TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0947546197

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Sources
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:16:37 -0500

Patsy Kishler wrote:
>I am a relatively new user of TMG and have just begun the monumental
>job of entering source information. How do others handle the sources
>for the tags of Education or Graduation? I am using the source
>categories of Elizabeth Mills but see none which come close to what I
>want. I have done the tutorial, read and re-read the reference manual
>on sources and have looked at Lee's page on sources. So far the only
>result is a headache. <g> Help!

For diplomas and graduation certificates of various kinds, I think I might
use the Manuscript (Unfilmed) category. The result might be something like:

"Anna Lee Burbridge, graduation diploma issued by Mt.
Sterling, Kentucky High School, 29 May 1895, Lee H.
Hoffman, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky".

A similar citation could be achieved by using the Photograph (Private
Possession) category with the following results:

"Anna Lee Burbridge, graduation diploma issued by Mt.
Sterling, Kentucky High School, inherited by the owner
from his mother, Louise O. Hoffman who had received it
from the subject, her mother, 29 May 1895, Lee H. Hoffman,
Mt. Sterling, Kentucky".

The difference (in TMG) is that the Source Element for Comments is included
in the standard Template for the Photograph (Private Possession) category.
But if one wished to use the Manuscript (Unfilmed) catagory as the basis
and then add the Comments Source Elements to the Output Forms Patterns as
needed, then this is certainly possible and maybe even suggested.

Other citations may be different for Graduation and Education tags
depending on the specific document that you wish to cite. Give us some
examples and I'm sure some of us can stick our neck out and give you a
suggestion.

Hope this helps -