TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948073412

From: Allen Mellen <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Multiple Sources for data
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:43:32 -0500

Connie Sheets wrote:
>I'm a newbie to TMG but I'm a bit perplexed by the majority of responses to
>Emery's question. I'm not arguing with the need to record multiple
>sources, and agree that when the first source I have is something like LDS
>Ancestral File and I then find something better, I'd probably delete the
>AF reference.

<snip>>
>Perhaps it's too many years of using BK, which only allows for one source
>per event and required me to put other sources/conflicting data in notes,
>but what am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. Now that you're using TMG, you can use it in
any way you want to in order to do genealogy your own way. As long as your
research is good, it does ot matter at all how you enter the data.

BTW, if you get a lot of data from the Ancestral File or other places with
a similar lack of quality control for the data, then one use of sureties
would be as a reminder of things you need to research. For that, you
should have the toggle set to surety rather than age on the Person View,
and consistently assign AF data a surety of, say, 1 or even 0. Then when
you get actual documentation you can assign that source a higher value, say
2 or 3.

Allen
Allen Mellen -- New York, NY
http://www.geocities.com/~allenmellen