TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948217808

From: Barbara Bennett <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Citations and Sureties in Shared Datasets (methodology?)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:50:08 -0800 (PST)

--- Connie Sheets <> wrote:
> Re: #C. I don't understand why a photocopy would
> be treated the same as
> an abstract or transcription, especially if the
> person who sent it to me
> has included a photocopy of the title page. Short
> of someone going to a
> great deal of effort to falsify what was photocopied

When I worked as a claims representative for Social
Security, a woman brought in a photocopy of a marriage
record to support an application for survivors'
benefits for her and her kids. There was nothing
suspicious about the photocopy but we always have to
have a certified copy. When I asked our office in that
jurisdiction to check the original, they came back
with "no record". I wrote back and asked them to check
the certificate number. The real certificate with that
number was for a completely different set of people.

When I got the woman back in to explain, she told me a
cock and bull story about being married by the priest
in the rectory but she was drunk and didn't remember
much about it. So, we contacted the priest. He said he
never heard of the couple and never conducted the
alleged wedding.

The witnesses listed on the bogus document were
relatives of the couple. We contacted them and they
said they'd never attended a wedding of the couple.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to fake that
certificate. One of my more interesting cases.

=====
Barbara Bennett, Columbia, MD