TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948236585

From: "Mills" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Last-word Evidence
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:03:05 -0600

Frankie wrote:
> I've not personally known or been involved in a case like this. I've
helped
> many potential members of my lineage societies do their paperwork, and
what I
> had noticed was that the societies are getting stricter.

Aren't we glad <g> -- so long as "stricter" means "better evidence"? On the
other hand, as so many people have pointed out on this list, "better
evidence" doesn't just mean having a record that says so--which has always
been the easiest way to get into a lineage society. There are many
situations in which we *can* build a case from indirect evidence that is far
more convincing than a faulty record. It's to the credit of some of the
lineage societies that their qualifying genealogists now recognize this --
and are putting more emphasis upon the *quality* of the proof.

> I got the impression from one of your articles in the NGS
> Quarterly, however, that you no longer supported "preponderance of
evidence"
> (September 1999). Did I misunderstand your article here, and could you
> clarify your opinion? Thanks.

Heavens to Betsy! What page/passage did I word so poorly as to leave *that*
impression! While the term "preponderance of evidence" is being discouraged
because of the conflict between legal usage and the more-demanding
genealogical usage, it's simply been replaced by the term "Genealogical
Proof Standard." Whatever pieces of evidence we assemble a "proof" of a
genealogical assertion still has to meet the same criteria -- and
case-building is still very much necessary, as the other four articles in
the issue demonstrated.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Editor, National Genealogical Society Quarterly