TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948266391

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Advice on source citations needed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:19:51 -0500

Bob Mallett wrote:
>Mills or Lackey?
>
>I have ordered Elizabeth's book today, and I'm sure that will be of great
>benefit, but I'd like to hear opinions and advice from the list as to which
>people think is best.
>
>My initial feeling was to go with Lackey, mostly because it offered LESS
>choice (I'm already overwhelmed by the choice available in TMG, and the
>resulting thought and decisions required), seemed simpler, and seemed as
>though it would provide a fit for most of my sources. I can see however that
>Mills is more current, and probably provides some benefit as a result - but
>I remain to be convinced.

As you note, Mills is more up to date and includes citations for source
that Lackey never dreamt would be used. There is something to be said for
the reduced number of choices that cover most sources and using the Custom
option based on Lackey would not be all that bad a choice. However, Mills
is becoming (if not already) _the_ preferred style.

Over and above this is the question of your sources. Are they mostly
non-U.S.? If so, you may consider that both Lackey and Mills are designed
with U.S. sources in mind. A number of TMG users from outside the U.S.
have said that neither style fits their needs. While I cannot disagree
(being unfamiliar with most non-U.S. sources), I still think that either
Lackey or Mills will cover most sources from wherever. There may need to
be some changes here or there, but that is also the case here in the U.S.

Hope this helps -