TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948279600

From: "Hugh Wilding" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Last-word Evidence
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:00:00 -0000

No, the thought never entered my head but I'll remember the line for next
time. It did cross my mind that the "Royal Bastards" was obviously the US
offshoot of our very own House of Lords, past entry to which has often
relied on the random scattering of royal seed (BTW it is a matter of
historical record that Charles 11 did not benefit from that marvel of modern
invention, the sipper). But the entry rules changed last November, so
access to the House of Lords no longer depends on a dodgy pedigree but on
the ability to stuff cash into the coffers of our political parties. At
some stage, we may even go the whole hog and have elections...

Funnily enough (in answer to Lee), I can't think of any lineage societies in
the UK along the lines of *Sons of Magna Carta* - we have plenty of "family
history" societies based on area or interest and one-name groups but the
only criteria for entry seems to be the ability to pay an annual
subscription (even the Society of Genealogists has dropped its requirement
that new members should, in some way, be "proposed" for membership). It
must be because we all know our place <g>.

Hugh

Gary Kee wrote:

> I would say something like 'Isn't that one of our larger societies' but
then
> again Hugh might comeback with something like ' How are the numbers in
your
> "Presidential Bastards" doing?' So I think I'll let this one pass without
> additional comment. <vbg>
>
> Gary
>
> Mills wrote:
>
> > Gary, should we mention to Hugh the "Royal Bastards" -- i.e.,
Descendants of
> > the Illegitimate Sons and Daughters of the Kings of Britain <g> -- which
> > have the toughest proof standards of any American lineage society?
> >
> > Elizabeth
> > --------------------
> >
> > Gary Kee wrote:
> > > You guessed correctly. There are many such societies over here in the
> > > 'colonies'. One for about everything you can thing of. The strangest
one
> > I can
> > > recall is one called "The Blacksheep ----" where you have to prove
your
> > lineage
> > > to a criminal or other person of ill repute.

> > pedigree to
Ta

TMG-L-DIGEST'

TMG-L-DIGEST'