TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948312487

From: Karla Huebner <>
Subject: RE: TMG-L: Wish List
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:08:07 -0500

I personally use Acrobat to create PDF files, but last time I went to the
Seybold publishing trade show I picked up a lot of brochures (which I no
longer have) on programs that to the best of my recollection created and
edited PDF files. Also, someone earlier mentioned that WordPerfect can save
to PDF. Haven't tried it so I don't know.

Karla Huebner

Message text written by INTERNET:

Sorry, I believe you ARE wrong. What programs do you have which create PDF
files? (If you have an Adobe product which incorporates the PDFWriter you
can create them from any program which prints to a printer -- but that does
not mean the program can create PDFs natively.)

Adobe owns the format and unlike word processing formats, they have no
incentive to allow other companies to freely create a document in their
format (as has been said before). Adobe freely distributes the Reader
because they want people to use PDF to exchange documents between programs
and platforms. If you want to create PDF documents, you have to invest in
one of the Adobe programs which includes the PDF Writer or in Acrobat
itself. If you want this capability you should buy the program (as has also
already been said).

- Pat Dumond
<