TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948328512

From: "Cliff & Lynn Watts" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Last-word Evidence
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:35:12 -0500

Dale Mueller wrote:

>> Probably the most famous is the DAR where one must be
able to prove relationship back to a veteran of our Revolution. I really am
not familiar with other societies so can not speak for them, but the
standards of research as practiced by the DAR are fairly abomidable. I found
one last year where the lineage as reported back to the soldier seemed to be
OK. However the soldier referred to did not serve in the unit the ancestors
claimed a link to and may never have served for all I know. There was
irrefutable evidence in the military and pension files that the ancestors
had
the wrong guy as their ancestor. I tried to bring this to the attention of
the Society but they expressed no interest in correcting their files. I have
found several such errors in their files so would caution all to treat DAR
files with skepticism <<

Lynn found that one of her real ancestors, Nathan Chase, had become a
super-patriot in DAR records because there he was the composite of two
Nathans, one of Massachusetts, the other of the Connecticut coast. She
made the effort to determine how corrections should be documented and
presented. About a year after mailing the correct facts for the
Massachusetts man, Lynn received a perfunctory note that her information had
been received. Needless to say, she has no further interest in
correcting -- or belonging.

My grandmother was a DAR wheel in New Hampshire. My grandfather (who could
easily have been a member of the SAR) dismissed it as "The Damned Annual
Rumpus."

Cliff Watts - Written at Westborough, MA