TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948389774

From: "Stuart Armstrong" <>
Subject: TMG-L: Full Time Custom Tags
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:36:14 -0700

Andy wrote:

>I'd like to know what "full time" custom tags and flags people are using on
their main databases.

The following is presented to give people ideas.
Here are three I use all the time.

Research Tag
Default sentences are "--"
This tag I use copiously to download raw data from internet research etc. Whole censuses, search results, indexes, research tips, FHL film number indexes, etc. If the information is generic I create the tag under a fictitious person named Research Notes. If the tag applies to a particular person or persons I link those persons to the tag as principals or witnesses, so the research tag shows up in each person's person view. Sometimes I select everyone with a particular surname from the picklist and link them all to the tag as witnesses. This tag is a catch-all for any research notes I don't want to print. I use the date field and the first line of the memo to describe the contents. I always select this tag to not print in reports. Some of them contain several megabytes of data.

Monument Tag
This tag is typically for tombstones for living persons, or where the death date has not yet been cut into the stone. It is also used for cases where a person has a monument in more than one cemetery or in a cemetery other than where he is actually buried, which is not uncommon.
[P] <has|and [PO] have> a monument or headstone <[L]> <dated [D]>. <[M]>
<[W] is|are> listed on a monument or headstone with [P] <and [PO]> <[L]>

SamePerson Tag
For persons who could be the same person. I find that putting a date in the date field helps to put these in perspective, showing when a supposed identity fits into a person's life. The sentences are actually moot because the tag is never selected to print.
[P1][PAR1] and [P2][PAR2] may be the same person. <[M]>
[W] may also be the same person as [P1][PAR1] <or [P2][PAR2]>. <[M]>

Custom Toolbar Buttons
I use several custom toolbar buttons regularly.

An iconed button to run InfoSelect and open the file \tmgw\tmgm.wd2, which is a great place to store and organize research notes. I chose to put the file in the TMGW directory so that it will be backed up along with the rest of TMGW whenever I back up my data files. I often duplicate the most valuable of these notes in Research Tags. The advantage of using an external program for storing notes is that it is easy to task back and forth between the notes and TMG without having to close and open windows. You can also do this with Wordpad, but InfoSelect is much more flexible and allows sorting and multiple notes in one file. In effect, InfoSelect becomes my Research Log, which is far more accessible and superior to TMG's internal one.

An iconed "Journal Preview" button to create a 2-generation Descendancy Journal Report to HTML and a companion "Preview Journal" button to view this report using Internet Explorer. These are used to review how a person's data will typically look in a published report. Viewing it in HTML is the quickest way to see it and since I may eventually publish it to a web page this is a good way to proof it beforehand. I have several more similar preview buttons for different kinds of reports.

A button to open the Master Source List directly.
A button labeled Ancestry which starts Internet Explorer and opens the Ancestry.com website.
A button labeled e-mail which starts my e-mail program.
A button labeled PAF which starts PAF4.0, since I use this program for LDS temple submissions and file sharing.
B E P S buttons for creating BAP END STP & STS tags (LDS events, which I use often).

Flags
Report_Rdy Flag (values F,T) indicates whether this person's data is ready for publication; in other words, everything has been cleaned up and reviewed and I am satisfied with how it will print.
Related Flag (values 1-9, default "-") indicates approximate degree of consanguinity. These are matched to a color scheme, with the brighter colors corresponding to close relatives and duller colors to distant relatives, with an over-riding bright yellow for all living persons. From time to time I run a tedious series of reports to set the flag values automatically.

Stuart Armstrong
mail to:
web page: http://cgi.aros.net/~stuarta