TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948419715

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Suggestions for NEVER MARRIED and NO ISSUE
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:55:15 -0500

Bud Dorr wrote:
>I can see I shouldn't have made such a general statement without explaining
>further. Custom tags can be GEDCOMed if one defines them in the transfer
>process. Lee Hoffman stated: "When creating the Custom tag, be sure to enter
>a_valid_ GEDCOM label (see Appendix D of the TMG User Guide, p. 321-322) and
>they will export." I should have stated that if one doesn't go to this trouble
>to identify all the custom tags and provide GEDCOM labels for them, the
>information will probably be dumped into notes. This is one reason I have used
>the existing tags, to avoid having to do that. After all, if the information
>prints nicely, it doesn't matter how it is entered (I think).

What I was referring to is more important with GEDCOM v4 than with GEDCOM
v5.5. If a custom tag has no GEDCOM label, then it will export as
provided for in the GEDCOM "standard". Thus rather than the tag being
exported like:
1 BIRT
2 DATE 01 SEP 1938
2 PLAC Mary Chiles Hospital, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, 380341N0835648W
2 NOTE where he lived all his life

the custom tag might export as:
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Milit-Beg
2 DATE 26 JAN 1956
2 PLAC Cincinatti, Ohio
2 NOTE with the U.S. Navy

I use Custom Tags as needed although I usually will have entered three or
four tags using one of the standard (i.e., Note, Misc, Anecdote) tags
before I create a Custom tag. When I first started, I used Custom Tags a
lot. I still have many of them, but very few have been used more that once
--- kind of overkill.