TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948577265

From: Allen Mellen <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Tags and Flags
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:41:05 -0500

Ken Nelson wrote:
>The essence is that a tag involves a whole lots of different kind of
>information around one specific event. i.e. birth, marriage, death, etc. A
>flag involves one piece of information, sex, is he alive or dead,
>birthorder, etc and is usually an either/or situation. At points the
>difference between the two is hairsplitting.

SNIP

There are two BIG differences. Sources can be attached to tags, but not to
flags. And tags are exported in GEDCOMS. (The Sex Flag is an exception,
and even that cannot have a source.)
Therefore, it is wise to be cautious about recording data in a flag rather
than a tag.

Allen

Allen Mellen -- New York, NY
http://www.geocities.com/~allenmellen