TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948592374

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Mills Templates
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:52:54 -0500

Bob Mallett wrote:
>Does anyone use the Mills templates exactly as they are?

Yes and No. It depends on the specific Source.

>I have purchased Evidence! . . . , and now understand what the templates are
>trying to achieve, but it seems to me they are much too specific. I'm
>looking at "Census, Federal, Filmed", for instance, and there is a field for
>"Household" and also for "Record Info" which is the lowest one can go in
>terms of detail in the census. If I follow this template then if I have 3
>families in a given municipality in a census for a given year I will have 3
>"Master Sources" where one would suffice, with the specific details of each
>family put into the CD of the specific citation. Lee says something about
>this on his helps page too.

If I plan to cite a census for one or two persons or families, then I would
use the default Templates with all the detail. But if I plan on using the
census for many (say more than three or four) families, then I would use a
Custom Source Category that I have created which is rather generic. For
the generic source, all the specific data would be entered in the Citation
Detail.

When using generic citations, one should attempt to keep the same format
for data entered in the Citation Detail. This will allow the
footnotes/endnotes to be somewhat standardized and easier for a reader to
find information.